Statue of Queen Victoria

Guest OLD No.12

the statue of queen victoria stood in front of the town hall in the 1900s. where has she now?

She is in Western Park, there is another topic about this somewhere but I can not find it, I posted a photo of the statue in Western park and asked if this was the same one. Its on here somewhere.

She is in Western Park, there is another topic about this somewhere but I can not find it, I posted a photo of the statue in Western park and asked if this was the same one. Its on here somewhere.

Isn't that the one that used to be on a pedestal at Moorhead? Or am I confusing it with another one?

Taking your advice about looking upwards from the mystery location thread, if you look up the side of the town hall as far as I know there is still a statue of Queen Victoria in a recessed arch higher up the building. (Try to get a picture if I remember next time I'm down there with a camera unless you do it first) Is this the one in question which has just been moved up onto the building?

Parking Up The Wrong Tree, then!

I don't know Stuart .. lol

I got the wrong statue, but Queen Victoria does seem to get almost everywhere in major towns and cities.

I got the wrong statue, but Queen Victoria does seem to get almost everywhere in major towns and cities.

Yes she was just like

'Horse Manure'

Guest OLD No.12

you may mock her but in her days as queeny this country had the power, the money,and other countries more than any others

Is this the correct statue of Queen Victoria from outside the town hall?

I seem to remember from pictures that the other one at moor Head was on top of a tall circular pillar

I seem to remember from pictures that the other one at moor Head was on top of a tall circular pillar

Knew I had the picture somewhere,

This is the other statue from the top of Moor Head. Officially this one was called the Crimean War Monument. When it was removed this statue went to the botonical gardens and the column ended up in a childrens playground. Not a very fitting end to a War memorial!

Isn't that the one that used to be on a pedestal at Moorhead? Or am I confusing it with another one?

Taking your advice about looking upwards from the mystery location thread, if you look up the side of the town hall as far as I know there is still a statue of Queen Victoria in a recessed arch higher up the building. (Try to get a picture if I remember next time I'm down there with a camera unless you do it first) Is this the one in question which has just been moved up onto the building?

If you mean the statue at the top of the gable over the main door on Pinstone Street, it's a life-size statue of Queen Victoria, surrounded by 'symbols of her dominion of the seas.'

If you mean the statue at the top of the gable over the main door on Pinstone Street, it's a life-size statue of Queen Victoria, surrounded by 'symbols of her dominion of the seas.'

Thats the one I was thinking of Bayleaf, and when I get a photo of it that will be the 3rd picture of a statue of Queen Victoria I will have posted here.

Thats the one I was thinking of Bayleaf, and when I get a photo of it that will be the 3rd picture of a statue of Queen Victoria I will have posted here.

Here is Queen Victoria on Fargate

Here is Queen Victoria on Fargate

That looks like the one in first picture, the one I thought we were now talking about which is the one described as "outside the town hall"

The one I haven't got is on the town hall front

That looks like the one in first picture, the one I thought we were now talking about which is the one described as "outside the town hall"

The one I haven't got is on the town hall front

Where abouts was the one you are thinking about, all the photo's I have seen have been this one at the top of Fargate outside the TownHall

Did not realise there was another one

Where abouts was the one you are thinking about, all the photo's I have seen have been this one at the top of Fargate outside the TownHall

Did not realise there was another one

The one that Bayleaf refers to in post # 12 as a response to my previous description of it

The one that Bayleaf refers to in post # 12 as a response to my previous description of it

Right, obviously not following my looking up rule am I

I take it it is still there, or have I lost the plot

Right, obviously not following my looking up rule am I

I take it it is still there, or have I lost the plot

It was last time I bothered to look up as I walked past the town hall sometime in the summer.

Not a good idea to look up in that area, all those pidgeons you know, could give someone a right eyefull, or am I confusing it with Paris, France?

If you're down there before me it looks like this thread is just waiting for a photo.

It was last time I bothered to look up as I walked past the town hall sometime in the summer.

Not a good idea to look up in that area, all those pidgeons you know, could give someone a right eyefull, or am I confusing it with Paris, France?

If you're down there before me it looks like this thread is just waiting for a photo.

Finally got the photo, the white statue of Queen Victoria is high above the main entrance to the Town Hall

Took 2 pictures, one showing more of the town hall because so many people seemed to know so little about this particular statue I thought it would make a good "mystery location" picture.

Oh well! I've told you where it is now.

Finally got the photo, the white statue of Queen Victoria is high above the main entrance to the Town Hall

Took 2 pictures, one showing more of the town hall because so many people seemed to know so little about this particular statue I thought it would make a good "mystery location" picture.

Well done Dave, not the easiest subject to photograph!

Dave

Tweaked your photo's slightly, hope you don't mind

Well done Dave, not the easiest subject to photograph!

Well, having produced photographs of the 3 statues of Queen Victoria in Sheffield that I know of, and having said that Queen Victoria, contrary to the views of SteveHB is one of this countrys greatest Monarchs and that statues of her are fairly ubiquitous (thats the nice way of saying that they seem to get everywhere) the challenge now is, - are there any more statues of Victoria in Sheffield?

If you know of any others, post the details of them here and if possible include a photograph.