1948, 1951 and all that

RichardB

On the Pubs list there are a number of entries showing 1948 or 1951 as "Open" this only means that this is the EARLIST KNOWN KEEPER, the place may have been open 30, 50, 125 years - but we have not (yet) been able to find an earlier keeper. We've had plenty of occasions when a 1948 Pub has, by a fortunate find become an 1883 pub and so on.

Initial aim - list all Pubs, find an address as best as possible, find a known keeper, more than one keeper if possible thus providing some kind of history.

Your knowledge/experience/help gladly received pushing back these opening dates - but like The Leg of Lamb and Trimmings we need three things

a persons name, a location and a date

The Leg of Lamb doesn't quite stack up to that evidence wise (so far).

On the Pubs list there are a number of entries showing 1948 or 1951 as "Open" this only means that this is the EARLIST KNOWN KEEPER, the place may have been open 30, 50, 125 years - but we have not (yet) been able to find an earlier keeper. We've had plenty of occasions when a 1948 Pub has, by a fortunate find become an 1883 pub and so on.

Initial aim - list all Pubs, find an address as best as possible, find a known keeper, more than one keeper if possible thus providing some kind of history.

Your knowledge/experience/help gladly received pushing back these opening dates - but like The Leg of Lamb and Trimmings we need three things

a persons name, a location and a date

The Leg of Lamb doesn't quite stack up to that evidence wise (so far).

-HI RichardB

Re my GGGFathers nephew Joseph Fearnehough' whose memoirs were related to his son a few months before his demise (Born1806, died 1898)

He spoke of the Greyhound Inn near Copper St, as being kept by a Mr Hinchcliffe and also being the only constable in Sheffield at this time around 1820.

Then after him it was kept by Mr Jerry Senior, after him, a Mr Waterfall who had previously kept the Leg of Mutton and Trimmings in Smithfield, he had a son named William who went on to be the Manager of the Sheffield and Rotherham Bank and after that Manager of the Sheffield Waterworks Co.

My GGGFather founded William Fearnehough & Son in Garden St, and nephew Joseph Fearnehough, who was taught his trade as Saw Maker by my GGGfather William also founded his firm in Portobello.

Cheers and Bon Noel ,to all of the Admin lads who have helped me.

Skeets.