Merry Christmas

RichardB

Guest Trefcon

Hi, this latest version has all the Rolls of Honour that appear in the original A-Z in the pinned section, apart from the Sheffield and District Unitarian ones. This i'll add later. I also now have more Roll's of Honour that i have found that need adding, again i'll add them later.

I also have a way of searching the CWGC site for any man that has 'Sheffield' in his details, just like the Soldiers Died CD-Rom, i now have them all. I have also searched for all the 'Colonials' that died and were from Sheffield.

Then i have the names of a few hundred extra men that served from Sheffield, and also all the Sheffield born men who joined the Australian Imperial Force and where they enlisted.

The vast majority of these men dont appear on any memorial here in Sheffield, so i'll put these on a seperate A-Z and release it later next year.

I could put the lot on one A-Z, or keep the men on the memorials apart, any suggestions?

Hi, this latest version has all the Rolls of Honour that appear in the original A-Z in the pinned section, apart from the Sheffield and District Unitarian ones. This i'll add later. I also now have more Roll's of Honour that i have found that need adding, again i'll add them later.

I also have a way of searching the CWGC site for any man that has 'Sheffield' in his details, just like the Soldiers Died CD-Rom, i now have them all. I have also searched for all the 'Colonials' that died and were from Sheffield.

Then i have the names of a few hundred extra men that served from Sheffield, and also all the Sheffield born men who joined the Australian Imperial Force and where they enlisted.

The vast majority of these men dont appear on any memorial here in Sheffield, so i'll put these on a seperate A-Z and release it later next year.

I could put the lot on one A-Z, or keep the men on the memorials apart, any suggestions?

Personally I'm speechless regarding the effort you have put into this work.

Erm, can we have both ? one big A-Z and a listing by memorial ?

A breathtaking, brilliant effort - for which I offer you "The Thanks of the Members of SheffieldHistory.co.uk" you are the first and only member - that is meant to be an Honour.

Thank You Dean.

Guest Trefcon

I'm very honoured, thank you.

Ok, any more 'Rolls' i find i'll list the names by memorial, but also then add them to the main A-Z.

My intention is to list as many Sheffield men as possible that served and died, i know i'll never get them all, but i'll just keep plodding on! I have seen the figure of 50,000 used twice as the number of men that went forth from Sheffield, so nearly half way there!!

I also have hundreds of photo's of varying quality of these men, i'd like these to see the light of day as well some time?

Or i could put a symbol against their name in the A-Z indicating that i have a photo for that particular man, and i would post one on to anyone who wanted one?

Always open to suggestions as to how to share all this.

Dean.

Great work, Deansgirl. I echo Richards sentiment. Well deserved praise.

Thanks Deansgirl,

This is an absolutely brilliant resource to have on the site and you have clearly put a massive amount of time and effort into compiling this roll of honour.

As I have my own family tree research I know that 3 of my ancestors from Sheffield were killed in the First World War. All 3 of them appear in your roll of honour. My initial research took me to the Commonwealth war graves website and the National Archives, both of which give details of when they died, where they died and where they are buried in war grave sites in Northern France. However your list gives details that previously I did not know, details of where locally their is a roll of honour listing for them, all 3 in local churches which I could actually visit easily whenever I want without having to plan an expensive trip to France.

Many thanks for providing that extra information as a special Christmas treat.