WW1 Postcard

dunsbyowl1867

Sent home by my Grandma' uncle, James Dibble, on 25th June 1915 - he served with the 1/4 York & Lancs 148th Infantry Brigade 49th West Riding Division.

nice one Dunsbyowl, owt ont' back?

Dean.

Hi Dean

Not very exciting - we have a number of these - must have been cheap he wrote letters over a number a cards this is only one - a couple have been censored.

Sent home by my Grandma' uncle, James Dibble, on 25th June 1915 - he served with the 1/4 York & Lancs 148th Infantry Brigade 49th West Riding Division.

World War 1 postcards are extremely collectable and in some cases quite valuable so look after it Dunsbyowl. Occasionally people with collections of them have been featured on Antiques Roadshow and such programmes and have been valued quite highly.

There value comes from 2 sources

Firstly the historical, and if it is still in the same family, sentimental value of what an eyewitness family member was doing at the time and what exactly they have put in their short message home from the front, but as you say often these would be censored for reasons of military security, - careless talk and all that.

Secondly the cover pictures themselves carry a high value. Many were done not by an artists pen or brush but were made in fabric or lace. Some of the photographic postcards were very daring for their time, featuring young women, I suppose often French madamoiselles, in various states of undress similar to something out of a "What the butler saw" machine. Both of these artistic styles from the early 20th century are very collectable today.

Nice card Dunsbyowl, thank you for sharing it with us.

World War 1 postcards are extremely collectable and in some cases quite valuable so look after it Dunsbyowl. Occasionally people with collections of them have been featured on Antiques Roadshow and such programmes and have been valued quite highly.

There value comes from 2 sources

Firstly the historical, and if it is still in the same family, sentimental value of what an eyewitness family member was doing at the time and what exactly they have put in their short message home from the front, but as you say often these would be censored for reasons of military security, - careless talk and all that.

Secondly the cover pictures themselves carry a high value. Many were done not by an artists pen or brush but were made in fabric or lace. Some of the photographic postcards were very daring for their time, featuring young women, I suppose often French madamoiselles, in various states of undress similar to something out of a "What the butler saw" machine. Both of these artistic styles from the early 20th century are very collectable today.

Nice card Dunsbyowl, thank you for sharing it with us.

Thanks for the onfo Dave!

Thanks for the onfo Dave!

Your card appears to be one of the fabric fronted type Dunsbyowl, which is what first drew my attention to it

(Not that I was looking for pictures of women in various states of undress or anything like that lol )