Terry Street House

popt

My family ancestors lived in a farm house called 'Belle View' which was situated at the top of what is now Terry Street in Carbrook.

It was the house to the surrounding farmland in the 1840's.

The council took a contract out with the Terry family to deposit soil on the land which later became the Carbrook Rec.

Does anyone know anything about the house Belle View and what happened to it.

Happy Days PopT

My family ancestors lived in a farm house called 'Belle View' which was situated at the top of what is now Terry Street in Carbrook.

It was the house to the surrounding farmland in the 1840's.

The council took a contract out with the Terry family to deposit soil on the land which later became the Carbrook Rec.

Does anyone know anything about the house Belle View and what happened to it.

Happy Days PopT

Pop, there is a brief mention of the house in R.G. Vine's History of Attercliffe...

Belle Vue stood on the present Recreation Ground beyond the end of Terry street, the birth-place in 1805 of Joseph Locke, one of England's greatest railway engineers. The family removed to Barnsley in 1810, where Locke Park now venerates his memory. Among his wonderful achievements the Woodhead Tunnel and the line between Manchester and Sheffield hold a foremost place. In 1819, George Drabble lived here, Thomas Holy, Esq., being the landlord: Stephen Terry (owner Travellers' Inn) was the owner occupier in the 'fifties ; and later, Charles Brown, boot factor at the corner of Goulder place, foster-father of a baby girl he rescued from the awful Sheffield flood in 1864, a well-known man in his day.

I would guess that the house was demolished about the time the Board School was built.

Guest plain talker

Pop, there is a brief mention of the house in R.G. Vine's History of Attercliffe...

I would guess that the house was demolished about the time the Board School was built.

Like so many of these schools, the School was built in the early 1870's under the Education Act.

My mother, and her three siblings (brother and two sisters) went there in the 1940's and fifties.