The Queen and Sheffield Wednesday.

ukelele lady

Can anyone recall the Queen visiting Sheffield around 1980 and for what reason was her visit?

I have taken some photographs to the Picture Library Sheffield taken by my brother when he worked at Osborns on

Penistone Road. The year is about 1980 and they're of the crowds waiting for her to arrive by car on Penistone Road.

One photograph is put under the heading Penistone Road Garage.

Another comes under Penistone Road and the rest I can't find although they were all of the same scene on the same

day, I'd have thought they would have kept them all together under Penistone Road catergory. :angry:

Now to the other mump, they have titled them " Queen visits Wednesday's new stadium"

I don't know much about Sheffield Wednesday but did they have a new stadium around that year and was this the reason for her visit?

:o

Can anyone recall the Queen visiting Sheffield around 1980 and for what reason was her visit?

I have taken some photographs to the Picture Library Sheffield taken by my brother when he worked at Osborns on

Penistone Road. The year is about 1980 and they're of the crowds waiting for her to arrive by car on Penistone Road.

One photograph is put under the heading Penistone Road Garage.

Another comes under Penistone Road and the rest I can't find although they were all of the same scene on the same

day, I'd have thought they would have kept them all together under Penistone Road catergory. :angry:

Now to the other mump, they have titled them " Queen visits Wednesday's new stadium"

I don't know much about Sheffield Wednesday but did they have a new stadium around that year and was this the reason for her visit?

:o

She "opened" the roof on the Kop in about 1986!

Guest bus man

She "opened" the roof on the Kop in about 1986!

Cant remember which visit it was but on one of the visits to hillsborough area - the 2nd generation bendis were used on service 53 (from outside what is now argos) to hillsborough to transport school children

More of the same, you can just see the Light Horseman in the background on one of them.

Funny how it all comes back round to pubs. Cheers. :rolleyes:

More of the same, you can just see the Light Horseman in the background on one of them.

I remeber well the pilgramage every lunchtime into "The Light Horseman" if it was too busy we would scoot down the road to "The Owl". Nice peek of the Kelvin flats in the second picture.

Main Old Light Horseman entry updated with this picture - Thank you.

Comes back to pubs because people used to navigate by them, they are a point in time, stand out against houses etc and photos and, of course, there is the little matter of names associated with these premises.