Grimesthorpe Cricket Club site

Guest skeets

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

anyone know if the above is still in use and anyone who played there skeets

Where exactly was it, skeets? It isn't the Petre Street ground that has been mentioned on a number of ooccasions on Sheffield Forum?

Where exactly was it, skeets? It isn't the Petre Street ground that has been mentioned on a number of ooccasions on Sheffield Forum?

thats correctSKEETS

But where was (or is) it situated in Grimesthorpe, Skeets?

HI, It was situated between Grimesthorpe rd and Petre st, and it was known as 'Smiths Field', the pitch was a levelled erea with a club house across this sloping field going down from Gr; Rd to Petre st ,this field has never been built on, the land past this smiths field on Petre st has been built on,[ industrial ] [atleast up to 2004] l think there must be a covanent in the deeds to this effect] thats another topic . if a portion of land has a covanent in the deeds stating no building must ever be erected, how long would this order last if it was freehold land, anyone know?, Cheers Skeets.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

HI, It was situated between Grimesthorpe rd and Petre st, and it was known as 'Smiths Field', the pitch was a levelled erea with a club house across this sloping field going down from Gr; Rd to Petre st ,this field has never been built on, the land past this smiths field on Petre st has been built on,[ industrial ] [atleast up to 2004] l think there must be a covanent in the deeds to this effect] thats another topic . if a portion of land has a covanent in the deeds stating no building must ever be erected, how long would this order last if it was freehold land, anyone know?, Cheers Skeets.

Sorry, Skeets, I misunderstood you first time, and now I realize it is the same place I was thinking of. I have not been down that way for quite a long time, so don't know what's happening down there; but I have affectionate memories of watching evening cricket matches on that field in the 1940s --always stopping off on my way from Attercliffe to my grandmother's house at Danville Street. My hero in those days, at least when I watched Petre Street CC, was a guy named Hancock. I suppose you know that there is a thread about Smith's or Smithies Field on Sheffield Forum.

Like you I would be interested to know what the situation is now, and I would also love to hear from anyone who saw any cricket matches there and can recall some of the people involved. I do believe that Eric Burgin, who later played for Yorkshire, played some of his earliest cricket at Petre Street, in the early 30s.