Sheffield 'Fire Watchers'

Guest DaveGaertner

Guest DaveGaertner

Are there any records of of fire watchers in Sheffield? My Grandmother (sadly long gone!) was one, and tells a story of a young lad who was killed while they were both on duty.

Any help appreciated!

Dave G

Are there any records of of fire watchers in Sheffield? My Grandmother (sadly long gone!) was one, and tells a story of a young lad who was killed while they were both on duty.

Any help appreciated!

Dave G

I suspect not Dave.According to Mary Walton and Joe Lamb's book Raiders over Sheffield, it sounds as if there was no real organisation, as they say many shops and other places destroyed by fire could have been saved if there had been a firewatcher on duty. It sounds as if it was left to individual shops etc to provide their own cover.

After the main raids local people were encouraged to set up a firewatch for their street, but this never got organised as the raids petred out.

If there were any records Mary and Joe would have known, they were the City Librarian and Reference Librarian at the time, and the Central Library was the centre for public information in the war.

If any records do exist, the Local Studies Library or Sheffield Archives will know.

Guest plain talker

My late grandpa worked for Dormer Twist Drill man and boy, and during the war, he did firewatching duty,. (his was a reserved occupation, as well as the fact that he as partially hearing and had a tuberculoid ankle, so could not serve)

He described being on the roof of the Dormer factory, squashed into a sort of metal torpedo shaped thing, with a slit, at eye height to peer through.

It must have been terrifying, to be so confined, yet so exposed. I can't imagine how scary that must have been.

Guest DaveGaertner

Many thanks Bayleaf!

Plain, I am in agreement with you, it must have been scary not knowing if the next one had your name on it! But they were hardy souls!

Many thanks Bayleaf!

Plain, I am in agreement with you, it must have been scary not knowing if the next one had your name on it! But they were hardy souls!

Did you see this link on the Air Raid Shelters Topic

Picture Sheffield