warburton Square ?

Guest ValN

Does anyone know if this still exists please ? I think it was in Matilda Street c.1866.

Would it be on an old map or was it too long ago ?

I've been looking at the maps,they are excellent ! lol

Not sure about where it was/is. But I found this whilst looking:

From Some memorials of the family of Roberts, of Queen's tower, Sheffield by Samuel Roberts pp. 21–22.

HANNAH, baptized November 30th, 1681, married at Ecclesfield, December 1, 1702, to William Warburton. I have endeavoured, but without success, to trace any descendants of this marriage, in the registers of Ecclesfield and Bradfield: in the former there is this record; "1704, December 17, William Warburton, sepult.;" and "1715, October 3, Widow Warburton, de Wadsley, sepult." It seems doubtful whether this was the couple in question: and still more uncertain the supposition that either of the abovenamed Williams was the father of Thomas Warburton, who had a son John and a daughter Martha, baptized at Bradfield, 1791–1794. There is reason to believe that one of the abovenamed was ancestor of Thomas Warburton, a razor manufacturer, who carried on business in Sheffield, in 1787, and whose corporate mark, "LISBON," was well known. One of the Warburton s had two sons, and five daughters—"The beauties of Storrs," as the latter were called. These Sisters are said all to have married respectably; one, Ellen, to Mr. Smith, a farmer, at Longley, whose son, John, was a bookseller in Angel Street, and father of the late John Pye Smith, D. D., the celebrated Independent preacher and theological writer, and of Mrs. Leader, mother of the present proprietor of the " Sheffield Independent" newspaper. The individual who lived in Charles street, who built and gave his name to a lot of houses near Furnival street, called "Warburton Square," was, as aunt Tinker informed me, of this family. Like several other old Sheffielders of that period, he had some strong peculiarities of character, being, in the language of those who remember him, "an original."

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

It is listed as "Warburton’s square, Eyre lane" in an 1857 street directory, but neither person nor business is listed as being at that address.

Eyre lane is still there but most of the old properties have gone although a few, between Froggatt lane and Brown lane remain, but none of the old properties near Matilda street have survived.

Local Studies have large scale 1850s OS maps which would possibly show it.