Quite Random

Guest Danny

I just had a flashback to my time at school, and i suddenly remembered a story told to me by a school friend of a stone or peice of wall that still exists built into an existing (well, existing back in the late 80's) bus depot.

The stone or peice of wall apparently had some significance having been part of another building, i think, on the site of the bus depot.

That is all i can remember. I cant remember which bus depot it was, or what the building was the stone had been a part of.

Does any one have any idea what this might be?

It will bug me now until i find out.

Dan

I just had a flashback to my time at school, and i suddenly remembered a story told to me by a school friend of a stone or peice of wall that still exists built into an existing (well, existing back in the late 80's) bus depot.

The stone or peice of wall apparently had some significance having been part of another building, i think, on the site of the bus depot.

That is all i can remember. I cant remember which bus depot it was, or what the building was the stone had been a part of.

Dan

Aaaagh!! And now it's bugging all of us!

The more I think about it, the more I think that it was either Herries Rd depot or Greenland Rd.

And thinking about it even more I am thinking it was Herries rd cos I remember thinking I might have seen it while on the way to my Auntie house who lived opposite the Forty Foot.

Still can't reach far enough back into my memory to remember what the building might have been that was on the site previously.

Guest transit

The more I think about it, the more I think that it was either Herries Rd depot or Greenland Rd.

And thinking about it even more I am thinking it was Herries rd cos I remember thinking I might have seen it while on the way to my Auntie house who lived opposite the Forty Foot.

Still can't reach far enough back into my memory to remember what the building might have been that was on the site previously.

.....i am sure Busman will know ! - but i can also tell you that when Central Works were demolished on Queens rd (where the Netto and the other shop units are ) this place was THE place where trams and buses were built /repaired/repainted ect for around 70+years and over the main front entrance was "SHEFFIELD CORPORATION TRAMWAYS" - all 30ft of sandstone-carved lintel ! When re-development started ,this feature was supposed to have been retained as a feature - like Leadmill Garage did ,and recently Heeley Bridge Tram Depot (check through the "Sheffield Transport" postings) but alas the ornate stonework was not replaced and all we are left with as a memory of the entrance is a steel structure advertising the shops who occupy the site. :(

Wasn't the Herries road depot built on land that used to be part of the grounds of the old Rawson's house known as Wardsend ? Perhaps it was part of the old boundary wall or a gatepost ?

I think you will find it was Herries. Up until 1966 there were 2 semi-detatched houses on the site where the new workshop was built [ to the right of the main entrance]. The front garden wall was left standing for a few years after the houses were demolished, and the site was used as a car park until building began. To the right of the houses was the old Co-op milk depot.

Guest bus man

I think you will find it was Herries. Up until 1966 there were 2 semi-detatched houses on the site where the new workshop was built [ to the right of the main entrance]. The front garden wall was left standing for a few years after the houses were demolished, and the site was used as a car park until building began. To the right of the houses was the old Co-op milk depot.

I think it may be part of the old house(s) at herries as to the best of my knowledge there were no decrotive stone work done on the depot its self or greenland road, with referance to the dairy the parking area was still known as the dairy park when the depot closed , indeed while there for "bye bye " photos on the evening of the closeure some one was told put a bus out of the way on the dairy park

The only decrotive feature at EB was the opening tree which is i believe still flowering if the palque is still there it is very very faded

Central works did have a decrotive heading over the vehicle entrance this was removed when it was demolished amidst public out cry in deed when i took a photo of it been lowered the builders brought my parents marital status at the time of my conception into doubt.

They were also upset that I had appeared out of no where !

The stone work was stored at kelham island musuem and it was planned to make it part of a garden feature not sure if this occured

I still belive that where the brick arch is at the retail park on queens road it should have been at the top

Sorry cant provide photos of the arch as they are not digital yet and dont know where they are i have several including some taken when central works was on fire !

Great, thanks for everyones help.

Does anyone know what the terraced houses were that stood on the site at Herries Rd?

Dan

Could this have something to do with the ex tram or was it bus terminus on Holme Lane?

When they built the new doctors surgery there , they built something in the outer wall

saying what used to be there.

The next time I pass I shall have a look. :rolleyes: