Has anyone seen some stained glass windows?

dunsbyowl1867

Just been litening to Radio 5 and there was an interview with a Cannon from St Marys (Brammal Lane I assume). Anyway during the war the stained glass was removed from the church and hidden down a mineshaft for safekeeping - but they can't remember where!

They are keen to find anyone who can remember or has any further information. I wonder why that piece of string was tied reound my finger...........

Guest plain talker

There are a few St Marys though, across Sheffield:- off the top of my head, I can name three, there's the one at Ecclesfield, where my Sis-in-law and her hubby married, and isn't Handsworth Parish church under the patronage of St Mary, too? (as well as the St Mary's at Walkley)

There are a few St Marys though, across Sheffield:- off the top of my head, I can name three, there's the one at Ecclesfield, where my Sis-in-law and her hubby married, and isn't Handsworth Parish church under the patronage of St Mary, too? (as well as the St Mary's at Walkley)

according to todays guardian, it's the st. marys on bramall lane

apparently these stained glass windows were of an early "abstract" design. they have funding in place for new ones, which are being fitted shortly

Guest Trefcon

The only similar thing i have come across are the windows from St. Cuthberts at Firvale being put in a mine in Derbyshire for the duration. Afraid dont know which mine.

Dean.

Just been litening to Radio 5 and there was an interview with a Cannon from St Marys (Brammal Lane I assume). Anyway during the war the stained glass was removed from the church and hidden down a mineshaft for safekeeping - but they can't remember where!

They are keen to find anyone who can remember or has any further information. I wonder why that piece of string was tied reound my finger...........

More about this in the Yorkshire Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2008