Owen Bradshaw

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I wonder if anyone has any more information on OWEN BRADSHAW, who drew the Gloops cartoons in The Star from 1936 to November 1946 when he died suddenly at the age of 56.

He was born around 1890 and joined the staff of the Sheffield Weekly Telegraph at the age of 14 in 1904. He later became a sub-editor on that paper, and combined those duties with that of artist. At some stage he also started doing some artistic work for The Star, hence he was on hand to take over the job of producing the daily Gloops cartoons. (Does anyone know who was the previous Gloops cartoonist?) Owen Bradshaw served with the Sheffield City Battalion in the Great War, and was a sergeant. In WW2 he served with the Home Guard. At the time of his death he was living at 44 Watt Lane, and he left a widow and a daughter.

I wonder if anyone has any more information on OWEN BRADSHAW, who drew the Gloops cartoons in The Star from 1936 to November 1946 when he died suddenly at the age of 56.

He was born around 1890 and joined the staff of the Sheffield Weekly Telegraph at the age of 14 in 1904. He later became a sub-editor on that paper, and combined those duties with that of artist. At some stage he also started doing some artistic work for The Star, hence he was on hand to take over the job of producing the daily Gloops cartoons. (Does anyone know who was the previous Gloops cartoonist?) Owen Bradshaw served with the Sheffield City Battalion in the Great War, and was a sergeant. In WW2 he served with the Home Guard. At the time of his death he was living at 44 Watt Lane, and he left a widow and a daughter.

We all had Gloops badges given to us at the cinema matine at the Colisseum on Spital Hill.

Here's a Heap cartoon from The Star in November 1946 re the crowning of the new Gloops Queen, Pauline Hartley.

Here's a Heap cartoon from The Star in November 1946 re the crowning of the new Gloops Queen, Pauline Hartley.

Just to get back to Owen "Uncle Toby" Bradshaw, who drew the Gloops cartoon in The Star from 1936 to 1946, I have come across a note that shows Bradshaw was the second of three artists who drew Gloops for the paper. The first one, from 1928 to 1936, was Ken Sydney, and the third was Walter Chambers, from 1946 to the time the cartoon was dropped (when?).

Does anybody have any info on Ken Sydney and/or Walter Chambers? I read in a copy of The Star for 1953 that Walter Chambers had a son who was seven years old at that time --so the boy must have been born in 1946! Is the lad still around? Did he grow up to become an artist?

Guest coral

Thank you for the info on the Gloops cartoon. I was as a child chosen to wear the Gloops costume at various functions but unfortunately had no photos. I see that you have pictures of Gloops and wonder if it would be alright for me to use them in my family history book that I am doing for my family. It would not sold and only used for thie purpose

Regards Coral

Melbourne Australia

Thank you for the info on the Gloops cartoon. I was as a child chosen to wear the Gloops costume at various functions but unfortunately had no photos. I see that you have pictures of Gloops and wonder if it would be alright for me to use them in my family history book that I am doing for my family. It would not sold and only used for thie purpose

Regards Coral

Melbourne Australia

No problem!

When you say that as a child you were chosen to wear the Gloops costume at various functions, can you recall (a) the years whenthis happened and (B) any particular functions? I am currently looking throuhg the paopers for round about 1954, and it would be interesting to know if this period is relevant.