Derbyshire / Sheffield Boundary Changes

Postal Historian

I'm currently researching the postal history of Derbyshire, and need some help on the post offices that are now in the southern suburbs of Sheffield. It is recorded that in the 20th century there were several boundary changes affecting the boundary between Sheffield (and thus Yorkshire) and Derbyshire; notable ones were in 1900 and 1934.

The post offices that are in my list as candidates for having been open at some portion of their existence whilst still in Derbyshire are:

Abbey Lane; Beauchief; Bradway; Dore; Greenhill; Greenhill Camp; Halfway; Heeley; Lower Heeley; Meadow Head; Meersbrook Bank; Newfield Green; Norton; Parkhead; Thorpe House Road; Totley; Totley Rise; Upper Albert Road; Upper Heeley; and Woodseats.

Can anybody clarify for me exactly when each of these areas left Derbyshire?

Guest transit

I'm currently researching the postal history of Derbyshire, and need some help on the post offices that are now in the southern suburbs of Sheffield. It is recorded that in the 20th century there were several boundary changes affecting the boundary between Sheffield (and thus Yorkshire) and Derbyshire; notable ones were in 1900 and 1934.

The post offices that are in my list as candidates for having been open at some portion of their existence whilst still in Derbyshire are:

Abbey Lane; Beauchief; Bradway; Dore; Greenhill; Greenhill Camp; Halfway; Heeley; Lower Heeley; Meadow Head; Meersbrook Bank; Newfield Green; Norton; Parkhead; Thorpe House Road; Totley; Totley Rise; Upper Albert Road; Upper Heeley; and Woodseats.

Can anybody clarify for me exactly when each of these areas left Derbyshire?

Hi , and welcome to the site ! - Busman may be able to help - usually found among the Sheffield Transport threads! :unsure:

Guest plain talker

I can add Gleadless Townend PO to the list as being in Derbyhire. In 1966 when my former husband was born, that road was still logged as "Gleadless Townend, Derbyshire. It's on his birth certificate as being so.

I can add Gleadless Townend PO to the list as being in Derbyhire. In 1966 when my former husband was born, that road was still logged as "Gleadless Townend, Derbyshire. It's on his birth certificate as being so.

A whole section of Derbyshire was absorbed into Sheffield in 1967. This includes part of Gleadless townend, Frechville, Mosborough etc.

For many years afterwards the road signs at Birley Moor and Hackenthorpe frequently still displayed "Chesterfield Rural District Council" above the street name, along with a small motif of a crooked spire instead of the red S12, or whatever, Sheffield postal district.

Who knows? Some of these signs may still be there.