Happy 50th birthday - 1156 !!!

Guest transit

Guest transit

Yes we didnt expect to find the bits still there

Whats the single decker next to it is it a BEA coach

....looks like it is ,although did'nt take much notice at the time! That pic was taken at the Aug Bank Holiday '76, Crich Transport Extravaganza - the "old" style one with loads of exhibits and MASSIVE market style dealer stalls all up on the woodland area. We stopped the 3 days ,sleeping in the bus , and raising funds off our stall during the day . Heres another slightly earlier shot at the Halifax rally with a bit more paint - and burning paint stripper - to remove !..........

Guest transit

Yes we didnt expect to find the bits still there

Whats the single decker next to it is it a BEA coach

.....wonder if this is the same one ?..............

Guest transit

.....wonder if this is the same one ?..............

.......same model ,from same batch , and similar reg , but not same one :(

Guest bus man

....looks like it is ,although did'nt take much notice at the time! That pic was taken at the Aug Bank Holiday '76, Crich Transport Extravaganza - the "old" style one with loads of exhibits and MASSIVE market style dealer stalls all up on the woodland area. We stopped the 3 days ,sleeping in the bus , and raising funds off our stall during the day . Heres another slightly earlier shot at the Halifax rally with a bit more paint - and burning paint stripper - to remove !..........

TRANSIT

Are you sure that the photo at chrich is chrich ? We used to be down the banking and the only thing at the front of the derby assembly rooms was the derby trolley bus. I think - but may be wrong - it is dewsbury market place . as I say I may be wrong - there are cobbles on the floor and chrich is tarmac

.....all i keep saying , as Busman will agree , JUST SHOW US THE PROOF OF THIS NATIONAL , which you say EXISTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(STILL WAITING 2 MONTHS AFTER YOU ACCEPTED THE CHALLENGE OF PROVING A PHOTO EXISTS!!!???) You can agree/disagree as much as you like - until YOU can prove otherwise ! which you cant ,as PROVED ! he he

Well its not for the want of trying, but I am sure it will turn up. Anyway Best Wishes to you both for Christmas and the New Year. W/E

....testing your memory again Busman ! - as this has not been mentioned - remember the "spare" bus we acquired for parts ? Ex Sheffield Transport Leyland PD2 , 822 - YWA 822 , open platformed Roe body ? Heres some pics of the work carried out by the "motley crue" back in '76 on the Canal Wharf.....

I'm sure I can see 7874WJ in the background on one of these pics!!

Guest transit

I'm sure I can see 7874WJ in the background on one of these pics!!

....yes they were "garaged" down at the Canal Wharf '76 till early 80's !! :o

Guest transit

..1156 was parked at Doncasters (First) Leicester Avenue depot today . Maybe for M.O.T. ? Unfortunately couldnt stop to ask.

Does anyone have pictures of the old regents or similar at Commonside or terminating at the bottom of Springvale Road Number 95 service. As a child I remember the now dodgy manuovre of reversing around the corner into Springvale Road. Did this procedure stop with the introduction of one man buses?

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest brownncream

Well its not for the want of trying, but I am sure it will turn up. Anyway Best Wishes to you both for Christmas and the New Year. W/E

Afraid none came in STD livery, as they didn't enter service until after April 1974 and the last STD repaint was in March 1974 (621 if I can remember correctly). Leyland provided them in base cream (they could only paint the damn things one colour) with the brown paint and transfers added at Queens Road. If you look in the book 'South Yorkshire Transport' by Venture (?) you will see a photo of one on the first day in service at Upperthorpe - in coffee and cream!

Guest peterandrewday

Hi thanks for letting me join the group .I am hoping to model 1156 in the next weeks, the photos realy helped .

Yours Peter A Day.

Guest transit

Hi thanks for letting me join the group .I am hoping to model 1156 in the next weeks, the photos realy helped .

Yours Peter A Day.

Hi Peter , and welcome to the site - great to have you on board !!! and you seem a keen modeller ,like me too !

Just to help you along with modelling 1156 , heres some pics of my attempt in 4mm (1:76) scale .........

Yours Peter A Day.

Welcome to the Site Peter, keen Members always welcome.

If you have any questions related to Sheffield Transport History, anything at all, then please bear this in mind ... Don't ask me ! :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Site Peter, keen Members always welcome.

If you have any questions related to Sheffield Transport History, anything at all, then please bear this in mind ... Don't ask me ! :rolleyes:

Hi Peter, still ask though, someone will know the answer lol

Guest peterandrewday

1156 , the preserved Sheffield bus , which many people will have seen at local rallies/fetes ect over the years was 50 years young on Nov 20th ! Busman and i used to spend regular weekends down on Canal Wharf back in 76/77 where it was garaged , just after it was acquired for preservation , itching and burning from head to foot after spending all day painting it with Nitromors (paint stripper) to get rid of the old thick paint which it had gained over the years (happy days!) i am sure Busman has several "interesting" pics! , and i will post some more when i have more time.

This year has seen a major overhaul and a new fresh coat of paint and the photos below were taken just a few weeks ago.....

Hi as i intend to modle 1156 may i ask whether it was common or the rule that Sheffield fleet Nos were gold on the front & sides and blue on the rear?And if the doors where retained when 1156 worked for Yorkshire Woollen @ Heckmondwike ?

Thanks Peter A Day

Guest transit

Hi as i intend to modle 1156 may i ask whether it was common or the rule that Sheffield fleet Nos were gold on the front & sides and blue on the rear?And if the doors where retained when 1156 worked for Yorkshire Woollen @ Heckmondwike ?

Thanks Peter A Day

....yes , Peter , it was common practice for "most" 50-60s buses to have the fleet no's in gold , except the rear , which were in dark blue and slightly larger than the gold ones . The fleet no's were then all blue from around '72.

As regards the rear doors , i am sure they have always been on 1156 - they were still intact when acquired for preservation in '76 , and presumably when in service with Yorkshire Woolen (see pic) after Sheff., although they could have been left open on hot summer days !

Guest bus man

....yes , Peter , it was common practice for "most" 50-60s buses to have the fleet no's in gold , except the rear , which were in dark blue and slightly larger than the gold ones . The fleet no's were then all blue from around '72.

As regards the rear doors , i am sure they have always been on 1156 - they were still intact when acquired for preservation in '76 , and presumably when in service with Yorkshire Woolen (see pic) after Sheff., although they could have been left open on hot summer days !

Just to confirm transists comments

Sheffield buses (and trams) had gold fleet numbers the buses got blue ones from around the early 1970's

The doors on 3156 WE were fitted when new and remained on the bus while at YWD , indeed I think I am right in saying there is an anomoly if a bus is fitted from new with them then it had to keep them if had been built as an open platform then it didnt need em

Guest transit

....found this pic of 1156 when with Yorkshire Woolen in '73.......

http://bit.ly/l4kvTI

Guest sammyopisite

I drove 1156 several times in the 60s it was used on Leeds, Bradford, Barnsley, Retford, Gainsborough and Dore which it could be on all day but could be used if available for part days and all these type of buses with rear doors were used on nights before Atlantean front loaders came into service I think there was around 6 or 7 of them fleet numbers 1156 to 1161/2 ?

Guest transit

I drove 1156 several times in the 60s it was used on Leeds, Bradford, Barnsley, Retford, Gainsborough and Dore which it could be on all day but could be used if available for part days and all these type of buses with rear doors were used on nights before Atlantean front loaders came into service I think there was around 6 or 7 of them fleet numbers 1156 to 1161/2 ?

...yes there were six of them - 1156-1161 , and cost back then (1958) , approx £5000 each !!!

The route they were used on most initially , was the service 66 which took in Sheffield-Barnsley-Dewsbury-Bradford , and operated from 1931 to 1971 . ;-)