Excavations outside the Central Station

Guest Danny

Hi

Just point me in the right direction if there has been discussion about this already, but i remember back in the days before i could drive, being on the bus going infront of the station when they had all that area ripped open, and seeing a very large stone built wall being un-earthed outside the station.

This would have been late 2004 onwards sort of time.

It looked like an official excavation had been arranged as there were tape measures, grids marked out etc. You could only see it from the bus, and i never got chance to take a walk past to try and have a word with anyone.

Does anyone know what this wall was? What was discovered etc?

Dan

Hi

Just point me in the right direction if there has been discussion about this already, but i remember back in the days before i could drive, being on the bus going infront of the station when they all that area ripped open, and seeing a very large stone built wall being un-earthed outside the station.

This would have been late 2004 onwards sort of time.

It looked like an official excavation had been arranged as there tape measures, grid marks etc. You could only see it from the bus, and i never got chance to take a walk past to try and have a word with anyone.

Does anyone know what this wall was? What was discovered etc?

Dan

I do not remember this, but the present day ground level is much higher than the days before the Midland Station was built. I have heard that the early 19c level was left pretty much intact when this area was developed around the time of the building of the station.

This would explain why you saw an excavtion taking place, as there has been a lot of development in the last few years.

Yes, it was when they were redeveloping the station frontage.

It looked like they had either 'found' the wall when digging into the ground, or that they had known the wall was there and taken advantage of the works to excavate the wall.

What i am wanting to found out though is if anyone knows what this wall was part of and if any good artifacts were discovered in the dig.

Dan

This is a site that I came across yesterday where the site of Clough House was wanted to be built on. A very thorough investigation ,well worth a read.One for SteveHB.

http://www.archaeologicalplanningconsultan...=1&Page=1/1

Two other sites in Sheffield are also being investigated by this company,Portland Works and The Klaussner Site.

A lot of the excavation work of this kind is carried out by Arcus http://www.shef.ac.uk/arcus/ (Archaeological Research & Consultancy

at the University of Sheffield)

Their reports are prepared for whoever commissioned the work, and are often deposited at the Museum rather than being published. If you contact them I'm sure they'd be happy to help.