Fellbrigg - Anybody find this?

dunsbyowl1867

Can't see this on the main list ? Looks like a fairly new pub or changed name?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s22110

Park Grange Rd jcn of Arbourthorne Rd, now closed turned it into some sort of Church. Not sure what year opened, must have been the late 60's, but was always called the Fellbrigg

DAVEH will know all the details, used to be his local

Can't see this on the main list ? Looks like a fairly new pub or changed name?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s22110

It's on my master list; obviously posted the main list before I found it. I have the Pub name and an address; that's it, no details whatsoever.

Please add it to the main list (in the right spot alphabetically) and bung on a link to this picture if you would be so kind.

Park Grange Rd jcn of Arbourthorne Rd, now closed turned it into some sort of Church. Not sure what year opened, must have been the late 60's, but was always called the Fellbrigg

DAVEH will know all the details, used to be his local

OK Stuart0742 and I knew this boozer very well. It was indeed my local and we seemed to have gone in there once a fortnight practically from leaving school until marriage and families brought other commitments, roughly 1973 to 1987. as I lived on the Arbourthorne quite close to it I was in there most nights of the week from 1979 to 1986. I met my wife in there while she was working behind the bar so to me it is quite a special pub.

It opened around 1967 with the building of the Norfolk Park Estate and closed around the year 2000. It was a Tetleys house. The building today is officially called "The Beacon" on the outside but is the church of St. Leonards and St. Pauls as it replaced the church on the Arbourthorne (St. Pauls) which originally stood at the corner of East Bank Road and one of the Berners roads, it is long demolished, a pity really as it was a traditional looking church, all that remains is a white crucifix near the petrol station on East Bank Road and the vicarage which I think is still in use as such. It also replaced the Norfolk Park church of St. Leonards. This used to be near the health centre on Park Grange Road near the footbridge which crossed to that other now gone pub, the Jervis Lum. St. Leonards church was never more than a temporary prefabricated building and the Fellbrigg is giving it a more permenant home.

I have already posted a picture of the Jervis Lum in the Jervis Lum, an ancient woodland thread. I will search my archive for a picture of the Fellbrigg and post it here for reference.

I have already posted a picture of the Jervis Lum in the Jervis Lum, an ancient woodland thread. I will search my archive for a picture of the Fellbrigg and post it here for reference.

The Fellbrigg in 1980, viewed from Park Grange Road.

Guest plain talker

OK Stuart0742 and I knew this boozer very well. It was indeed my local and we seemed to have gone in there once a fortnight practically from leaving school until marriage and families brought other commitments, roughly 1973 to 1987. as I lived on the Arbourthorne quite close to it I was in there most nights of the week from 1979 to 1986. I met my wife in there while she was working behind the bar so to me it is quite a special pub.

It opened around 1967 with the building of the Norfolk Park Estate and closed around the year 2000. It was a Tetleys house. The building today is officially called "The Beacon" on the outside but is the church of St. Leonards and St. Pauls as it replaced the church on the Arbourthorne (St. Pauls) which originally stood at the corner of East Bank Road and one of the Berners roads, it is long demolished, a pity really as it was a traditional looking church, all that remains is a white crucifix near the petrol station on East Bank Road and the vicarage which I think is still in use as such. It also replaced the Norfolk Park church of St. Leonards. This used to be near the health centre on Park Grange Road near the footbridge which crossed to that other now gone pub, the Jervis Lum. St. Leonards church was never more than a temporary prefabricated building and the Fellbrigg is giving it a more permenant home.

St Pauls was originally built in the 1930s on the junction of East Bank and Berners Roads.

I was told by the vicar who was in charge back in the 1970's that it was named for the defunct St Paul's which was beside the peace gardens.

In the mid/late 1970s, the original St Paul's Arbourthorne was demolished, and a smaller church/community room was built behind the original site. The original site became St Paul's Hostel, housing people with learning difficulties.

Dwindling congregations meant that the church and vicarage were no lionger viable, and by about six years ag, the two churches of St Leonards, Norfolk Park, and St Paul's Arbourthorne were merged back into one parish, and were rehoused in the disused "Fellbrigg" pub., and named "the Beacon".

St Pauls was originally built in the 1930s on the junction of East Bank and Berners Roads.

I was told by the vicar who was in charge back in the 1970's that it was named for the defunct St Paul's which was beside the peace gardens.

In the mid/late 1970s, the original St Paul's Arbourthorne was demolished, and a smaller church/community room was built behind the original site. The original site became St Paul's Hostel, housing people with learning difficulties.

Dwindling congregations meant that the church and vicarage were no lionger viable, and by about six years ag, the two churches of St Leonards, Norfolk Park, and St Paul's Arbourthorne were merged back into one parish, and were rehoused in the disused "Fellbrigg" pub., and named "the Beacon".

I think your right about St. Pauls being named after the original St. Pauls in the Peace Gardens.

My younger brother, born 1961 was christened at St. Pauls and takes his name from it.

In the 1960's I used to go to Sunday school there every Sunday after morning service for an hour!

Sunday school!!!

Does such a thing exist any more? Have churches completely lost their congregations and has the City dropped into a total moral decline in standards?

Well, if you look at how many public houses on the Norfolk Park estate have lost their "congregations" of regular drinkers (considered a sin in some religions) and have successfully re-opened as churches then apparently not. This includes the Fellbrigg and the Captive Queen.

I know there is also a section in the pubs topic about pub keepers and that the Fellbrigg is one of those pubs with no known keepers so here is my addition.

The Fellbrigg opened around 1967

For many years throughout the 1970's and up to 1982 the landlord and landlady were "Sid & Mary" (surnames unknown). They are pictured here behind the bar in the Fellbrigg in 1981

Sid and Mary, Landlords of the Fellbrigg (? - 1982)

From 1982 to 1984 the pub was run by Brian and Brenda Glaves

Brian and Brenda had come from the Grenall mower to run the Fellbrigg, they made many changes and improved the pub a lot but after 2 years decided to go back to the Grenall Mower.

From 1984 onwards the pub was run by a guy who had previously run the Bull & Mouth but who's name I have now forgotten.

It was not long after this in the mid 1980's that I stopped being a regular drinker in this pub and so knew none of the later landlords.

The Fellbrigg in 1980, viewed from Park Grange Road.

Another view, slightly different viewpoint from 1986

This seems to be all that is left of St. Pauls church, Arbourthorne.

Perhaps its a good job they did move to the Fellbrigg, - at least they have now got a building in which to congregate again.

This seems to be all that is left of St. Pauls church, Arbourthorne.

Perhaps its a good job they did move to the Fellbrigg, - at least they have now got a building in which to congregate again.

This is the actual current site of St. Pauls Arbourthorne, now some sheltered housing for the elderly.

Not that white cross to the right of the picture, and that Berners Road is now one way off of East Bank Road.