WILD(E) family : Royal Hotel (Owlerton); Royal George; The Brown Cow & Dog & Partridge

Guest Mike.Broomhead

Guest Mike.Broomhead

Walter Wild, 30 years old, and wife Clara, 35, ran the Royal Hotel Owlerton in 1891 with Walter's Uncle William Broomhead also living there in his later years. Walter's father was a brother of William's wife who had passed away.

The WILD / WILDE family are unusual in having professions Publican/Victualler and also Grinder ! Walter had previously been both, as had his father.

Walter's father WILLIAM WIDLE was the publican at 56 West Bar, ROYAL GEORGE in 1871.

William's mother SARAH (widowed) was the publican of THE BROWN COW, TRIPPET LANE in 1871.

SARAH and husband JOSEPH WILD were publicans of THE DOG & PARTRIDGE, 56 TRIPPET LANE in 1861.

(I do not know whether the 2 Trippet Lane pubs, Brown Cow / D&P, were the same place).

I would be interested in hearing from people with connections with this family or more information (or photos etc) about the pubs and streets in the years stated.

Thanks - Mike Broomhead / aroundM21@yahoo.co.uk

Walter Wild, 30 years old, and wife Clara, 35, ran the Royal Hotel Owlerton in 1891 with Walter's Uncle William Broomhead also living there in his later years. Walter's father was a brother of William's wife who had passed away.

The WILD / WILDE family are unusual in having professions Publican/Victualler and also Grinder ! Walter had previously been both, as had his father.

Walter's father WILLIAM WIDLE was the publican at 56 West Bar, ROYAL GEORGE in 1871.

William's mother SARAH (widowed) was the publican of THE BROWN COW, TRIPPET LANE in 1871.

SARAH and husband JOSEPH WILD were publicans of THE DOG & PARTRIDGE, 56 TRIPPET LANE in 1861.

(I do not know whether the 2 Trippet Lane pubs, Brown Cow / D&P, were the same place).

I would be interested in hearing from people with connections with this family or more information (or photos etc) about the pubs and streets in the years stated.

Walter Wild, Royal Hotel Owlerton in 1891 - Bradfield Road - previous earlist known keeper 1948 !! Just shows, there is plenty more to find.

Royal George is listed as a beerhouse in 1871

Brown Cow, showing as 27 Trippet Lane- a number of keepers makes me believe this was district from the Dog - see listings below :

Brown Cow 1845 & 1846 John Andrews, 1849 L Feranley, 1852 J. Harwood, 1856 Alfred Capper, 1862 Joseph Knight, 1871 Sarah Wild

Dog and Partridge 1845 & 1846 Henry Fordham, 1849 Henry Radford, 1852 Mrs H Radford (presumably widowed), 1856, 1861 and 1862 Joseph Wild, 1871 Alfred Turner (shown as 61 Trippet Lane in 1822)

Many Thanks for your input, I will update the main A-Z listings

HI Mike Era 1936/48 onwards, a Walter Wilde kept a well patronised Fish&poulters business at Ellesmere Rd Pitsmoor. anyrelation? Skeets