Weston Hall

dunsbyowl1867

Came across this engraving, I assume this was the house around which was the estate which became Weston Park ? Any further information?

Came across this engraving, I assume this was the house around which was the estate which became Weston Park ? Any further information?

This photo of 1910 is quite different. Can't read the caption on that engraving, - does it say Sheffield ? It looks more 'Elizabethan' than 'Victorian'.

This photo of 1910 is quite different. Can't read the caption on that engraving, - does it say Sheffield ? It looks more 'Elizabethan' than 'Victorian'.

This photo is the same building as in the Sheffield Parks and Gardens book by Doug Hindmarch, and as you Gramps looks like a very different building to the first one.

He refers to it as Weston Hall, but in the new Pevsner guide it's referred to as Weston House. The building we now call the museum was built as the Mappin Art Gallery which was opened in 1937 and replaced the old House/Hall, the museum being housed in an annexe on the south end of the building.

I Googled Weston Hall last night and there was a copy of the same print on another site. The caption was simply Weston Hall, Yorkshire. Unfortunately it was late and I didn't save the link :(