Marriage Brickwall

Guest familysearch

Guest familysearch

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a Daniel Tipper and Selina Hodgkiss who were both born in Staffordshire, lived in Coal Aston/Dronfield but both died in Sheffield him at Greystock Street in 1889 and her at Princess Street in 1915.

However I can't find any marriage record for them. I know he had been married a few times previously when he lived in Staffs and that they would have been married after about 1867 but can't find any record for Yorkshire, Staffordshire or any of county for that matter.

I'm at a loss to know where to go from here. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the site!

Sit back, relax, and listen to the hum of constant activity.

To paraphrase a proverb - Sheffield History is a sea in which a gnat may bathe and an elephant may drink.

This couple are not married in the 1871 census. Daniel and a grown up son are lodgers in Selina's house. Selina has three small children who I am guessing are Daniel's. (ref: 2954 folio 79 page 34).

Have you traced Daniel's previous wife - could she still be alive? There's a possibility Daniel and Selina never married, even though they are shown as married in 1881. Have you got any birth certificates for the children?

The youngest child in 1881, Beatrice Edith, was married in Owlerton in 1899. The transcription at Sheffield Indexers* lists her father as 'David' Tipper.

*for searching the databases it is better to use their old site while it lasts, as the wildcards on the new site are not yet working.

Hugh

Guest familysearch

Hi Hugh,

Daniel's previous wife died in 1860. The birth certs for the children on the 1871 census although say Hodgkiss as surname don't all state Daniel as father (some blank) but Tipper is added in the name. Both Selian and Daniel are named on their own death certs as Tipper so I'd presumed she must have been married to him. Could this just be a 'common law' marriage - I'm not sure about this? Could she have been buried with this surname rather than her maiden name of Hodgkiss?

Welcome to the site!

Sit back, relax, and listen to the hum of constant activity.

To paraphrase a proverb - Sheffield History is a sea in which a gnat may bathe and an elephant may drink.

This couple are not married in the 1871 census. Daniel and a grown up son are lodgers in Selina's house. Selina has three small children who I am guessing are Daniel's. (ref: 2954 folio 79 page 34).

Have you traced Daniel's previous wife - could she still be alive? There's a possibility Daniel and Selina never married, even though they are shown as married in 1881. Have you got any birth certificates for the children?

The youngest child in 1881, Beatrice Edith, was married in Owlerton in 1899. The transcription at Sheffield Indexers* lists her father as 'David' Tipper.

*for searching the databases it is better to use their old site while it lasts, as the wildcards on the new site are not yet working.

Hugh