Grimesthorpe Road shops

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Does anybody remember these three shops on Grimesthorpe Road in the 1940s and 1950s --

LILY BELL'S GROCERY SHOP on the corner of G Rd and Ditchingham, opposite Tommy Thompson's Brunswick pub. Lily was a character, very helpful, and you could always get food and suchlike "on t'strap"! Lily had a daughter and a grand-daughter, so there might still be someone around connected with the Bell family from Lilly's time.

SMITH'S NEWSAGENTS was a bit further down towards the Gower Street end, on the opposite side from Bell's, and I recall a father and son running the shop. The father was thick set and balding, the son tall and scholarly. They were very friendly, and it was in the days when you could buy a pennorth of writing paper and suchlike. I used to love the smell of the new comics when they arrived --comics like the Dandy and the Beano, Knockout and Chips. Wonderful days!

MRS GALLACHER'S SWEET SHOP was just above Smiths, and she sold sweets and ices. It was always a treat to have a few coppers to spend in her shop. A tuppenny Maytime ice was very popular. Mrs G was quite elderly, or so she seemed to me in those days, and a very kindly woman.