Ada Bowler, Berkley St, Attercliffe 1940-50s

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I am wondering whether any relatives of ADA BOWLER might still be around in Sheffield, or nearby. Ada became the third wife of Charles Jackson in early 1948. Charles died in 1972, but Ada died some years before him. They lived in Berkley Street, off Attercliffe Common for many years, and I am fairly certain that this was Ada's home before she met Charles J. I know Ada had a daughter, but I don't think she lived in Sheffield. However, there may still be some members of her family --a neice or a nephew still residing in the Sheffield area. I would imagine that Bowler was Ada's married name from her previous marriage. I am not aware of her maiden name.

I can't help with living relatives, but I did find this:

Burials in Tinsley Park Cemetery

BOWLER Ellen 3 Dec 1914 52 wife of William Fookes 47 Berkley Rd PB102nc

BOWLER William Fawkes 19 Jun 1943 78 retired 47 Berkley Rd PB102gp

JACKSON Ada 20 Sep 1963 73 housewife 47 Berkley Rd/Firvale Infirmar PB102gp

[name/date of burial/age/description/address or place where death occurred/grave ref.]

note: the three grave references are the same - 'nc' (non consecrated) is equivalent to 'gp' (general portion).

No sign of Charles JACKSON in this cemetery.

I cannot determine the relationship between Ada and these BOWLERs. I have found them in 1901, with no Ada in the household. There is also a George Fooks BOWLER who I am guessing is William's brother. He is also in Attercliffe in 1901, but has no child called Ada. So it may turn out that Ada is a BOWLER by marriage, but in that case, why isn't she buried with her first husband?

Her marriage certificate should list her father which would give you her maiden name.

Hugh

I can't help with living relatives, but I did find this:

Burials in Tinsley Park Cemetery

BOWLER Ellen 3 Dec 1914 52 wife of William Fookes 47 Berkley Rd PB102nc

BOWLER William Fawkes 19 Jun 1943 78 retired 47 Berkley Rd PB102gp

JACKSON Ada 20 Sep 1963 73 housewife 47 Berkley Rd/Firvale Infirmar PB102gp

[name/date of burial/age/description/address or place where death occurred/grave ref.]

note: the three grave references are the same - 'nc' (non consecrated) is equivalent to 'gp' (general portion).

No sign of Charles JACKSON in this cemetery.

I cannot determine the relationship between Ada and these BOWLERs. I have found them in 1901, with no Ada in the household. There is also a George Fooks BOWLER who I am guessing is William's brother. He is also in Attercliffe in 1901, but has no child called Ada. So it may turn out that Ada is a BOWLER by marriage, but in that case, why isn't she buried with her first husband?

Her marriage certificate should list her father which would give you her maiden name.

Hugh

Ada Bowler was almost certainly her married name. My grandfather, Charles Jackson, was her second husband, and the house in Berkley Road where they lived after their marriage in 1948 was Ada's (rented or owned I don't know). So the William Fawkes Bowler who died at the same address in June 1943 must have been her husband. Yet she appears to have been born in about 1890 while WFB seems to have been born in 1865! That's a 25 year difference, isn't it?

Ada had certainly been married before she wed my grandfather, for though I was a small child at the time, Ada had a daughter. I know nothing of this daughter, only that I don't think she thought Ada had improved her lot by marrying my grandfather!

I am grateful for your help in this. With the fact you have given me, I will try to delve a bit deeper.

K

K

I have moved your reply out of the quote :)

I will delete the subsequent message and this one later.

Glad to be of service and let us know how the research is going.

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Re-reading the notes, it is obvious that Ellen Bowler was the first wife of William Fookes Bowler, and, as she died in 1914, I would suspect that Ada may have subsequently started out as a housekeeper (in service, as was often the case) or home help and eventually married WFB, probably after the Great War or in the early 20s.

I have checked Family Search and found that William Fookes Bowler was born in 1865 (Christened 2nd April) at Husborne Crawley, Bedford, and was the son of Robert and Elizabeth Bowler.

By the time of the 1901 census (which I don't have access to at present) he would be 36 and possibly married to Ellen, but there is no evidence of this on Family Search.

Obviously, I am more interested in his life after he married Ada, but a quite intriguing picture is building up, and I may yet be able to trace the daughter of Ada and WFB through the fact that he had an unusual middle name --and, remembering that in the 1950s Ada's daughter was living in the south, it could well be that she had returned to the Bedford area.

In any event, I am very grateful for your interest, Hugh.

This is the 1901 entry for William and Ellen:

piece 4382 folio 122 page 28

168 Dunlop St

(Attercliffe cum Darnall)

William BOWLER Head Marr 36 labourer in iron works BDF Hustand Crawby?

Ellen Wife Marr 38 LIN Pinchbeck

Violet Dau 7 Sheffield

Ivy M Dau 5 Sheffield

Frederick Son 1 Sheffield

Herbert J VINCENT Boarder Unm 28 cab driver NFK Breeches

I must admit I hadn't considered the possibility that Ada was married to William F BOWLER,

because they seemed to be of different generations. So I was looking for an Ada who was

a daughter or niece of William or who had married a son or nephew.

Hugh

168 Dunlop St

Violet Dau 7 Sheffield

Ivy M Dau 5 Sheffield

I must admit I hadn't considered the possibility that Ada was married to William F BOWLER,

because they seemed to be of different generations. So I was looking for an Ada who was

Hugh

Can it be this simple?....

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1916

BOWLER William F (spouse: DUCE) N. Bierley 9b 138

DUCE Ada (spouse: BOWLER) N. Bierley 9b 138

GRO Births SEP Qtr 1916

BOWLER Winifred (mother's maiden name: DUCE)

Sheffield 9c 1242

(no other BOWLER births with DUCE as mmn)

Why N.Bierley?

Hugh

Can it be this simple?....

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1916

BOWLER William F (spouse: DUCE) N. Bierley 9b 138

DUCE Ada (spouse: BOWLER) N. Bierley 9b 138

GRO Births SEP Qtr 1916

BOWLER Winifred (mother's maiden name: DUCE)

Sheffield 9c 1242

(no other BOWLER births with DUCE as mmn)

Why N.Bierley?

Hugh

Hugh, it all fits. In fact (and I don't think it's my memory playing tricks) I am sure I have heard the surname Duce before.

I assume N Bierley is where the marriage took place --where IS N Bierley? Excuse my lack of knowledge.

I also now remember that Ada's daughter was called Winnie. I think she moved south after she married. She would be abouit the same age as my mother, give or take a few months, so I can imagine that she would marry either just before or just after the start of the war. I shall be exploring the possibility of discovering where she went, but, as she would be over 90 were she still around, I may not get the chance to talk to her!

Hugh, it all fits. In fact (and I don't think it's my memory playing tricks) I am sure I have heard the surname Duce before.

I assume N Bierley is where the marriage took place --where IS N Bierley? Excuse my lack of knowledge.

I also now remember that Ada's daughter was called Winnie. I think she moved south after she married. She would be abouit the same age as my mother, give or take a few months, so I can imagine that she would marry either just before or just after the start of the war. I shall be exploring the possibility of discovering where she went, but, as she would be over 90 were she still around, I may not get the chance to talk to her!

Just as a postscript, there wasn't much of a gap between the wedding and the birth of Winifred, was there?

Just as a postscript, there wasn't much of a gap between the wedding and the birth of Winifred, was there?

Yes, I had noticed that!

North Bierley (from GenUKI)

"BIERLEY, (North, South and West), in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2½ miles from Bradford, 8 from Halifax, 12½ from Wakefield. Pop. 6,070. Here is a Chapel, but not consecrated. [1822]"

Hugh

Yes, I had noticed that!

North Bierley (from GenUKI)

"BIERLEY, (North, South and West), in the parish of Bradford, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2½ miles from Bradford, 8 from Halifax, 12½ from Wakefield. Pop. 6,070. Here is a Chapel, but not consecrated. [1822]"

Hugh

This is not a brilliant picture, but it was taken (I think with a box camera!) after Ada's wedding to Charles Jackson in 1948.

lol

168 Dunlop St

Violet Dau 7 Sheffield

Ivy M Dau 5 Sheffield

Hugh

Hi funny i am looking into my family tree my grandad was a Graney but his father was Robert Graney and he married a Annie Bowler Robert was born 1882 dont know Annie's but they lived at 159 Dunlop st Atterclife so Annie could be related dont know i havent got much information as i have just started on it and dont come from Sheffield but i am hoping to visit soon lol