Childhood infectious disease

Guest SarahM

Hi,

I am new on here. This is a great site. I spent 7 years at Sheffield University and have missed the city ever since leaving.

I am currently researching for a novel about the experiences of a Mum and a child in a hospital, loosely based on Lodge Moor. I was there during my time in Sheffield and had some spooky experiences of children singing 'ring a ring a roses'. Has anyone heard anything about any ghosts at the hospital?

My story involves a Mum in the present who experiences ghosts from the past and travels into their time. I would love to hear anyone's memories or memories passed down from being in Lodge Moor hospital as a child.

I look forward to hearing from people.

Best Wishes

Sarah

Hi Sarah. As a child I had every infectious disease going except mumps and including scarlet fever! My Mum had a hatred of hospitals so I was nursed at home, so no hospital memories I'm afraid. I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses though. Good luck and welcome to the Forum :)

I was in Lodge Moor with measles in 1946. My only memory is of getting a rather vicious telling off by a very stern nurse for wetting the bed - this in spite of my high fever. I was also told I'd get a cold bath if it happened again. I had called the nurse several time to be taken to the loo but was ignored and you got a tongue lashing if you got out of bed without permission.

Apparently my mother, who was also a nurse, wiped the floor with her and reported her to the matron lol