Lax & Chambers families of Beighton & Holbrook

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I am hoping to find something out about the family of Tom Jackson Lax, a blacksmith, of Beighton, b 18 Dec 1866, who married a lady called Eliza Deverick, and may have moved to the Swallownest/Aston area around 1900-1910; also Isaac Chambers, who came from Holbrook and was born 2nd June 1881, and married Jane Ellen Haywood. The Chambers family may also have moved to the Swallownest-Aston area around 1905-1915.

I am hoping to find something out about the family of Tom Jackson Lax, a blacksmith, of Beighton, b 18 Dec 1866, who married a lady called Eliza Deverick, and may have moved to the Swallownest/Aston area around 1900-1910; also Isaac Chambers, who came from Holbrook and was born 2nd June 1881, and married Jane Ellen Haywood. The Chambers family may also have moved to the Swallownest-Aston area around 1905-1915.

Let me just add that on the question of Isaac Chambers I have had a brilliant response from Brian H. on Sheffield Indexers.

Let me just add that on the question of Isaac Chambers I have had a brilliant response from Brian H. on Sheffield Indexers.

Eliza Deverick is a name proving a bit elusive.

Eliza Deverick is a name proving a bit elusive.

Hi, Eliza Deverick born 1887 at Worksop, married Tom Jackson Lax in 1904 at Rotherham, she was 17 years old.

She is listed in the 1891 census as living at 47 Abbey Street, Worksop, her father John George (collier) her mother Sarah L Ann and her siblings Rosie and John are also listed. If you need more info please let me know.

Hi, Eliza Deverick born 1887 at Worksop, married Tom Jackson Lax in 1904 at Rotherham, she was 17 years old.

She is listed in the 1891 census as living at 47 Abbey Street, Worksop, her father John George (collier) her mother Sarah L Ann and her siblings Rosie and John are also listed. If you need more info please let me know.

Huthwaite, you will not believe this, but I have just spent an hour composing a reply, and it has disappeared because it was said that I had not logged in --when I had. I have not the energy to start it all over again. Will respond tomorrow.

Hi, Huthwaite. We are very grateful for you info, which has prompted a search in the 1881 Census and we have come up with the suggestion that John G Deverick, Eliza's father, was living at Holbeck, Notts at this time, and married to Sarah A. Deverick. He apparently came from Astwood in Bucks and was a farm labourer (obviously he later became a collier).

This 1881 data shows that two people called Gale were living with them, and this prompted a search for info on Sarah A having possibly been a Gale prior to becoming a Deverick. This threw up the intriguing suggestion that Sarah was born at Brompton, Middlesex in 1858 and was the daughter of John Gale and Fanny Bowes (not married? More intrigue!).

I was slightly concerned that Holbeck and Holbrook place names (the latter mentioned on the Chambers side of the family) appear so similar, but this seems to be just a coincidence for all else seems to fit. But is it not easy to go up a wrong path?

I think we may have missed Eliza Deverick before because we believed that she came from Cuckney rather than Worksop. Even so, we couldn't find a Deverick until you popped up with your magic wand!

What is of interest, but may not be familiar to you, is that Eliza's husband from 1905, Tom Jackson Lax (he was 38 in 1904), had been married previously. I think this was in 1894, and he certainly had children, but I have no info re his first wife or the children. Family folklore suggests there were two or three children from the first marriage.

My wife is delighted to have made so much progress in her quest to build her family tree. We have done fairly well on the Lax side, though Tom Jackson Lax's mother, Mary, from Boughton (b 1840) is proving a struggle to "fill out" because we can't find a marriage date and thus a maiden name, though we have established that her husband George Jackson Lax died ahead of the 1891 census. For some reason I thought Mary might have been called Hutchinson, but Family Search has not been able to confirm or disprove this.

On the Chambers side we have also done well with the line from Isaac C (1881-1948) through William C (1851-95) to another Isaac (1813); but the 1881 Isaac married a Jane Ellen Haywood (b Eckington 1885, d Nov 1968), and research into Jane Ellen's family, while I have some info from the 1891 census, has slowed, with a frustration being that Jane Ellen's mother Mary Ann (b 1858 Dudley) had been left a widow, and thus details of Jane Ellen's father don't appear.

However, what with delving into all sorts of other directions in connection with other branches of our two families (I keep nibbling at my own, too!), we are enjoying the unfolding drama (perhaps that is too strong a word) of our past, and, as comparative beginners, we are grateful for the enthusiasm and guidance of so many friends that we didn't know we had!

Hi, Huthwaite. We are very grateful for you info, which has prompted a search in the 1881 Census and we have come up with the suggestion that John G Deverick, Eliza's father, was living at Holbeck, Notts at this time, and married to Sarah A. Deverick. He apparently came from Astwood in Bucks and was a farm labourer (obviously he later became a collier).

This 1881 data shows that two people called Gale were living with them, and this prompted a search for info on Sarah A having possibly been a Gale prior to becoming a Deverick. This threw up the intriguing suggestion that Sarah was born at Brompton, Middlesex in 1858 and was the daughter of John Gale and Fanny Bowes (not married? More intrigue!).

I was slightly concerned that Holbeck and Holbrook place names (the latter mentioned on the Chambers side of the family) appear so similar, but this seems to be just a coincidence for all else seems to fit. But is it not easy to go up a wrong path?

I think we may have missed Eliza Deverick before because we believed that she came from Cuckney rather than Worksop. Even so, we couldn't find a Deverick until you popped up with your magic wand!

What is of interest, but may not be familiar to you, is that Eliza's husband from 1905, Tom Jackson Lax (he was 38 in 1904), had been married previously. I think this was in 1894, and he certainly had children, but I have no info re his first wife or the children. Family folklore suggests there were two or three children from the first marriage.

My wife is delighted to have made so much progress in her quest to build her family tree. We have done fairly well on the Lax side, though Tom Jackson Lax's mother, Mary, from Boughton (b 1840) is proving a struggle to "fill out" because we can't find a marriage date and thus a maiden name, though we have established that her husband George Jackson Lax died ahead of the 1891 census. For some reason I thought Mary might have been called Hutchinson, but Family Search has not been able to confirm or disprove this.

On the Chambers side we have also done well with the line from Isaac C (1881-1948) through William C (1851-95) to another Isaac (1813); but the 1881 Isaac married a Jane Ellen Haywood (b Eckington 1885, d Nov 1968), and research into Jane Ellen's family, while I have some info from the 1891 census, has slowed, with a frustration being that Jane Ellen's mother Mary Ann (b 1858 Dudley) had been left a widow, and thus details of Jane Ellen's father don't appear.

However, what with delving into all sorts of other directions in connection with other branches of our two families (I keep nibbling at my own, too!), we are enjoying the unfolding drama (perhaps that is too strong a word) of our past, and, as comparative beginners, we are grateful for the enthusiasm and guidance of so many friends that we didn't know we had!

I don't know what happened there. First I lost it, then I despaired, then, miraculously, it turned up again! After all that, I hope it makes sense.

I don't know what happened there. First I lost it, then I despaired, then, miraculously, it turned up again! After all that, I hope it makes sense.

Happy to help, good hunting!

Hi, Tom Jackson Lax married Mary Elizabeth Cotterill b 1872 at Rotherham in 1894, their 3 children listed in the 1901 census are George M b 1897, Bernard b 1900 and Lawrence b 1901.

George Jackson Lax married Mary Brown b Beighton 1840 at Sheffield in 1859.

In the 1861 census they are listed as living with George's parents (I assume) Luke b 1812 Durham and Ann b1813 Derbyshire, also in the 1851 census there is a Luke Lax living at Handsworth who was born 1782 in Durham possibly Luke's father?

As a general overview it looks as though the Lax's originated from Durham and Darlington.

If you would like me to email you more details please send me a private message and I will be happy to help.

Hi, Tom Jackson Lax married Mary Elizabeth Cotterill b 1872 at Rotherham in 1894, their 3 children listed in the 1901 census are George M b 1897, Bernard b 1900 and Lawrence b 1901.

George Jackson Lax married Mary Brown b Beighton 1840 at Sheffield in 1859.

In the 1861 census they are listed as living with George's parents (I assume) Luke b 1812 Durham and Ann b1813 Derbyshire, also in the 1851 census there is a Luke Lax living at Handsworth who was born 1782 in Durham possibly Luke's father?

As a general overview it looks as though the Lax's originated from Durham and Darlington.

If you would like me to email you more details please send me a private message and I will be happy to help.

Hi have checked up and Luke 1812ish was George's Father he married an Ann Jackson in 1834 so I guess we know where the Jackson middle name came from, Luke's father was actually William Lax b 1785 Brancepeth Durham, Luke had a number of siblings:

Jane b 1802

Martha b 1811

John b 1800

Thomas b 1801

Robert b 1809 all at Brancepeth

Hi have checked up and Luke 1812ish was George's Father he married an Ann Jackson in 1834 so I guess we know where the Jackson middle name came from, Luke's father was actually William Lax b 1785 Brancepeth Durham, Luke had a number of siblings:

Jane b 1802

Martha b 1811

John b 1800

Thomas b 1801

Robert b 1809 all at Brancepeth

Thanks, Huthwaite!

Just for interest, we have located this pix of Tom Jackson Lax and Eliza (Deverick).

Guest i-search.lax

Thanks, Huthwaite!

Just for interest, we have located this pix of Tom Jackson Lax and Eliza (Deverick).

Hi!

I am a new member (smorgasbord) Imagine my surprise when, just browsing generally with a view to research some background I read your reply to 'huthwaite' which had an attachment......... a photo of My Grandfather and my Grandmother! How spooky is that? May I ask what the connection is? Obviously I am researching my Genealogy and I would be interested in comparing notes.

p.s Do you have an original of the photo?

Hi!

I am a new member (smorgasbord) Imagine my surprise when, just browsing generally with a view to research some background I read your reply to 'huthwaite' which had an attachment......... a photo of My Grandfather and my Grandmother! How spooky is that? May I ask what the connection is? Obviously I am researching my Genealogy and I would be interested in comparing notes.

p.s Do you have an original of the photo?

Clearly a link here, so, as a start, I have sent you a private message.