Another Just off the Wicker

Waterside Echo

It surely cannot be long now before the remaining buildings of this old woodyard fall down, or get demolished. The wonder is that they have survived this long, especially as the warehouse next to it has been tarted up.This area is of special interest to me as back in the 1960s I worked for Bentley Brothers on Savile Street, and apart from going in the woodyard for sawdust etc we would alternate between the Hole in the Wall and the Station Hotel at lunch times. Tennants Queens 1/9 a Pint, happy days.

Tha mun be a bit owder than me then - it were 1/10 when I got the taste on it lol

Put it this way---- My workmates put a bit of a do on at The Hole int Wall for my 21st birthday in march 1965. I think you could be right about the 1/10, I know we could only afford to drink it on pay day. What was that pub called just up Spital Hill on the left, we sometimes went there until it closed and became a motorbike repair shop.

Put it this way---- My workmates put a bit of a do on at The Hole int Wall for my 21st birthday in march 1965. I think you could be right about the 1/10, I know we could only afford to drink it on pay day. What was that pub called just up Spital Hill on the left, we sometimes went there until it closed and became a motorbike repair shop.

The Lodge Inn,

there is a photo on here somewhere

It surely cannot be long now before the remaining buildings of this old woodyard fall down, or get demolished. The wonder is that they have survived this long, especially as the warehouse next to it has been tarted up.This area is of special interest to me as back in the 1960s I worked for Bentley Brothers on Savile Street, and apart from going in the woodyard for sawdust etc we would alternate between the Hole in the Wall and the Station Hotel at lunch times. Tennants Queens 1/9 a Pint, happy days.
If anyone with a camera is passing this spot in the near future a photo of this spot , and the building that was originally Bentley Brothers [the one nearest the Wicker Arches] would be appreciated. Thanks.

HI My first pint was 6pence ,about 1/2 a mile away in the Normanton Grimesthorpe rd , but later Queens was one of the best pints brewed Skeets