Some Forgotten Facts in the History of Sheffield and District... 1907

Guest Leipzig

Guest Leipzig

Hi

The book: Some Forgotten Facts in the History of Sheffield and District... 1907, is available to download from the Internet Archive site: http://www.archive.org/index.php and should be useful to anyone who has an interest in the history of Attercliffe-cum-Darnal.

However the site seems to be having one or two problems at this moment in time.

Regards

Leipzig

Sadly, as with many other books digitised by Google and supplied by American institutions, the book is not available for download to UK users. I'm not sure if this is down to some international copyright problem or simply a 'dog-in-the manger' policy adopted by US universities and libraries.

A similar situation exists here in the UK. The whole of the early series of OS maps has been digitised and are held on file by Cambridge University, but unless you are a student or staff member of an institution that subscribes to the service the maps are unobtainable.

Sadly, as with many other books digitised by Google and supplied by American institutions, the book is not available for download to UK users. I'm not sure if this is down to some international copyright problem or simply a 'dog-in-the manger' policy adopted by US universities and libraries.

A similar situation exists here in the UK. The whole of the early series of OS maps has been digitised and are held on file by Cambridge University, but unless you are a student or staff member of an institution that subscribes to the service the maps are unobtainable.

I'm not sure, but I think that UK copyright law might be to blame. As I understand it, under UK copyright law, if I scan an old book or map I can claim copyright on my scans. I don't know whether this has ever been tested in UK courts, but it was the core of the arguments in the failed Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp. case in the US that resulted in it being explicitly declared that this is not the case in the US.

Jeremy

I'm not sure, but I think that UK copyright law might be to blame. As I understand it, under UK copyright law, if I scan an old book or map I can claim copyright on my scans. I don't know whether this has ever been tested in UK courts, but it was the core of the arguments in the failed Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp. case in the US that resulted in it being explicitly declared that this is not the case in the US.

Jeremy

You may be right about this. I was told in the Local Studies library that anything I copied there remained the copyright of the library, even though it may be well out of 'normal' copyright. They will normally allow publication provided due acknowledgment of source is given.

Guest Leipzig

The number of texts (digitised books) seems to have suddenly increased on the Internet Archive site by about half a million in just over a week. I can only assume that the source of these texts is from the books digitised by Google? However there is no problem downloading this book. Just select Texts from the main menu, then select Advanced Search. In the Title Field input 'Some Forgotten Facts in the History of Sheffield' but make sure you select texts (not text) in the Media Type field. The search result will be the above book, and you will have a choice of formats in which you can download the book.

Regards

Leipzig

Thanks Leipzig, - I can grab the text, my gripe is that I can't seem to download the PDF file and save to disc. Did you find a way to do this ?

Guest Leipzig

Thanks Leipzig, - I can grab the text, my gripe is that I can't seem to download the PDF file and save to disc. Did you find a way to do this ?

Hi Gramps

Yes I see what you mean. The processes on the site are no longer behaving the same way as they were a week ago. Instead of being able to save the pdf to disk, pursuing the PDF link now re-diects to the Google Book site, with details about the book, but no downlaod option. I suppose it's a case of strike while the iron's hot, if you're also lucky enough to have a hammer at the time.

Kind regards

Leipzig