Fullwood Mill/Broomhall Mill ?

dunsbyowl1867

I have just received a copy of my gggg grandfather's will. His name was Samuel Andrews c. 1790-1815 and he was a Miller and owned a mill at Fullwood but he also refers to owning Broomhall Mill. I believe his mill was on the Porter. Were there two differrent mills or the same one. Does anyone know of any information on the mill/s.

Thanks lol

I have just received a copy of my gggg grandfather's will. His name was Samuel Andrews c. 1790-1815and he was a Miller and owned a mill at Fullwood but he also refers to owning Broomhall Mill. I believe his mill was om the Porter. Were there two differrent mills or the smae one. Do anyone know of any information on the mill/s.

Thanks lol

There were two Fulwood mills. One has disappeared completely, the remaining part of the other is now the animal sanctuary of Mayfield Rd. They were actually on the May Brook which joins the Porter near the bridge at the bottom of Quiet Lane. The lower mill was demolished and the dam filled in around the 60's I think. The dam for the upper mill is still there but heavily silted up and overgrown. The upper mill was a corn mill.

In David Crossley's book Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers he gives the folllowing re Fulwood Mills:

"In 1804 the Rev. Smith sold the freehold (with the Woodhouses still named as occupiers) to Samuel Andrew of Broomhall Mill, who in turn mortgaged it to Martha Hargrave. Andrew himself was named as miller in the 1814-15 directory"

And Broomhall Mill:

"By 1778 Samuel Andrew was at the mill, appearing in a rental and paying £26 5s per half-year; further rentals of 1797-1810 have him still as tenant at the same outlay. He is also named in the 1794 printed list.

Another Fairbank survey of 1818 coincides with Andrew's purchase of the freehold and immediate mortgage of the mill, followed some months later by a deed of appointment of trustees, suggesting Andrew may have been in failing health."

There are some good colour plans of both mills in the book, but they're from the Sheffield Archives and I wouldn't like to upset them by posting them here! There's a lot more detail in the book, it would be worth a look.

There were two Fulwood mills. One has disappeared completely, the remaining part of the other is now the animal sanctuary of Mayfield Rd. They were actually on the May Brook which joins the Porter near the bridge at the bottom of Quiet Lane. The lower mill was demolished and the dam filled in around the 60's I think. The dam for the upper mill is still there but heavily silted up and overgrown. The upper mill was a corn mill.

In David Crossley's book Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers he gives the folllowing re Fulwood Mills:

"In 1804 the Rev. Smith sold the freehold (with the Woodhouses still named as occupiers) to Samuel Andrew of Broomhall Mill, who in turn mortgaged it to Martha Hargrave. Andrew himself was named as miller in the 1814-15 directory"

And Broomhall Mill:

"By 1778 Samuel Andrew was at the mill, appearing in a rental and paying �26 5s per half-year; further rentals of 1797-1810 have him still as tenant at the same outlay. He is also named in the 1794 printed list.

Another Fairbank survey of 1818 coincides with Andrew's purchase of the freehold and immediate mortgage of the mill, followed some months later by a deed of appointment of trustees, suggesting Andrew may have been in failing health."

There are some good colour plans of both mills in the book, but they're from the Sheffield Archives and I wouldn't like to upset them by posting them here! There's a lot more detail in the book, it would be worth a look.

Hi Bayleaf,

I was also sent these photographs. Can you recognise anything here?

This looks good Bayleaf - will you be going to this?

FOPV

* Wednesday 12th November 2008, 7.30pm

Bents Green Methodist Church

AGM and Open Meeting

"Water Power on the Porter Brook, its rise and decline"

A talk by David Crossley

Broomhall mill stood to the west of Little Sheffield alongside the bridle-way up to Sharrow head. The other (lower) wheel was I believe a grinding hull.

Detail from Tayler's map 1823

and from Fairank's map of 1795

David Crossley's schematic for the Porter Mills is a little confusing in the Fulwood area. These are from the earlier book on Sheffield's water wheels by Walter Miller.

The Broomhill dams and wheels are still there on the 1851 OS survey and there are large scale copies of this in Local Studies.

Hi Bayleaf,

I was also sent these photographs. Can you recognise anything here?

These all look like the upper mill. The picture with the stream is actually the upper dam, now overgrown with just the brook running through. It looks as if it was taken from the little bridge at the junction of Mark Lane and Mayfield Rd.

The top left one is the remains of upper mill you can see in the photo of the dam. The top right photo is the same buildings from the other side.

The bottom right is the mill from Mark Lane. looking across the fields to the mill. The large building actually fronts onto Mayfield Rd.

I don't know when they were taken but as far as I recall it's much the same now.

Hopefully I'll be going to the meeting. If you're interested David Crossley will most probably bring some copies of his book to sell!