My favourite pen knife

Guest matta

Dear All, I am new to this forum & trying to find out a bit of history on my old pen knife given to me by my grandfather quite a while ago. The knife has "JOSEPH RODGERS & SONS" along the large blade with "No6 NORFOLK ST SHEFFIELD ENGLAND" at the base of the large blade. The small blade has "G (small crown) R RODGERS CUTLERS TO HIS MAJESTY" on the base of the blade. On the other sides of the blade bases are the star & cross logo of Joseph Rodgers & Sons (worked that one from the previous post on the company). I would truely appreciate any ideas/info please.

Thanks for your time & consideration.

Sincerely,

Matt

Guest Smiling-Knife

Dear All, I am new to this forum & trying to find out a bit of history on my old pen knife given to me by my grandfather quite a while ago. The knife has "JOSEPH RODGERS & SONS" along the large blade with "No6 NORFOLK ST SHEFFIELD ENGLAND" at the base of the large blade. The small blade has "G (small crown) R RODGERS CUTLERS TO HIS MAJESTY" on the base of the blade. On the other sides of the blade bases are the star & cross logo of Joseph Rodgers & Sons (worked that one from the previous post on the company). I would truely appreciate any ideas/info please.

Thanks for your time & consideration.

Sincerely,

Matt

Hi Matt. That is a nice old jack knife. Joseph Rodgers was one of a handful of cutlery companies with a royal warrant. The G crown R refers to King George. In this case, possibly George the V or VI; 1910-1936 and 1936-1952 respectively. The font on the tang stamp is very similar to that on my WWI Rodgers army knife. Based on this I think your knife was made around that time or slightly thereafter. I hope this helps.

Very polite introduction, I really hope a grown-up on this thread (i.e. not me) can provide you with help and information.

Good Luck.

Thanks gents, I thought it might be WWI vintage, by what my grandfather said (he implied it was given to him by his father & he was a young teenager during WWI). Definitely a family treasure.

Thank you for your input, I look forward to reading the abovementioned link tonight.

Cheers