Death on Ecclesall Road

Guest Jelly Baby

Guest Jelly Baby

Hi all,

I have come to this forum in hope someone out there will remember something from way back when.

My husband currently works in the plumb centre on ecclesall road where there is a lot of ghostly activity which is getting out of control. so much so we have had to contact the bishop of sheffield about going in to the showroom and performing an exorcism.

we would there fore like to know if anyone can remember or have any info on that part of ecclesall road as we have been told this used to be a co-op and a small butchers used to be at the side of it. I know there used to be a co-op where waitrose currently is but we have been told that there was also one at 555 ecclesall road where the plumb centre is currently.

we have also been told that the butcher actually committed suicide in the building in the 70s but we can not find any info at all??

do you remember anything about what it used to be or have any pics of this place at all???

Thanks for reading

Sazz

In White's 1919/20 Directory the Co-op is in number 557 (it could have expanded later):-

Ecclesall Road

551 Austin Miss Jennie, boarding house

553 Skillett William, Salvation Army officer

555 Hudson Edwin, painter

557 Sheffield & Ecclesall Co-operative Society Limited

559 Hopewell Arthur, confectioner

Hugh

Guest Jelly Baby

Thanks Hugh.

Is there anyway we could find out if there has been any deaths or anything in the building?

Thanks again for the info

Here are the same addresses in White's 1901 Directory:

Ecclesall Road

551 Holmes Wm. Barber , tripe dlr

553 Bridges Geo. Hy., com. traveller

555 Barker, Arthur cab proprietor

557 Hartley, Cromwell Wiley, steeplejack

559 Foulds, Joseph, (j) razor case mfr.

Is it definitely 555 you are interested in?

Searching for deaths will be difficult. I have searched the published burial indexes I have for these addresses without finding anything.

Otherwise you would need to research the families who lived there, looking for a possible death.

Hugh

Full household in 1901...

1901 census

ref: piece 4352 folio 30B page 2

555 Ecclesall Road

(Ecclesall Bierlow; Ecclesiastical District: St Augustine's)

Arthur BARKER Head Marr 42 cab driver YKS Shepley(?)

Lucy BARKER Wife Marr 36 Sheffield

Walter BARKER Son Unm 17 [unclear..] clerk Sheffield

Arthur BARKER Son 11 Sheffield

Bertie BARKER Son 7 Sheffield

Bertie BARKER was killed in WW1 in Mesopotamia.

In the CWGC database Arthur and Lucy's address is given

as Foxhill Cottage, Birley Carr. This must relate to the

end of the war or later.

Hugh

there is a lot of ghostly activity which is getting out of control.
Hi Sazz, and welcome to the forum. Can you explain more please.

I ask because I used to be the facilities manager at Ranmoor Hall on Belgrave Rd where stories of ghostly activities and sightings abounded.

Guest Jelly Baby

Thanks for all your help hugh

Hi Mike

well it all started with things flying out of the kitchen cupboards and things balancing on the side of the sides if you understand?? It would move things in the kitchen and get things out of locked rooms and put them in the male toilet.

It has now started scribbling things on pieces of paper trying to answer questions we have left but with different coloured pens.

It is also now putting things like cans of beans and carving knives in the actual showroom.The most frightning part of it now is that it is blowing cold air on people.

This all sounds very strange and probably think yeah yeah its all a hoax it is not as my hubby is not the kind of man to make things up nor be as scared as he is sometimes when he comes home from work. We know this is not a hoax as they have gaffer taped the room up when they have left at night to make sure no one can get in to the room with the most activity. There is only 2 people with keys to the building and they are all present when locking up at night and openening up in the morning so no one has entered the building all night and the kitchen would be upside down??????

Sounds interesting.

There were two areas where the 'sightings' were being made at Ranmoor Hall. One in an upper office which was thought to be a children's bedroom and the good old basement. The cold air story was one that we got in the basement, however we discovered a hole that led into the bar above just where one of the chillers was located, so blasts of cold air would effectively fall into the cellar at certain times. If you were in the right place you would get the full effect. I once had to go down to retrieve a workmans tool box as he was 'got' by the cold air and the wind up security officer had given him the usual stories and so he refused to go back down ???.

I worked there for 10 years and never came accross any of the strange goings on.

I think nowadays I'd place a covert camera in there without anyone else knowing, you might find someone with a third set of keys! :unsure: to a door no one knew about.

Thanks for all your help hugh

Hi Mike

well it all started with things flying out of the kitchen cupboards and things balancing on the side of the sides if you understand?? It would move things in the kitchen and get things out of locked rooms and put them in the male toilet.

It has now started scribbling things on pieces of paper trying to answer questions we have left but with different coloured pens.

It is also now putting things like cans of beans and carving knives in the actual showroom.The most frightning part of it now is that it is blowing cold air on people.

This all sounds very strange and probably think yeah yeah its all a hoax it is not as my hubby is not the kind of man to make things up nor be as scared as he is sometimes when he comes home from work. We know this is not a hoax as they have gaffer taped the room up when they have left at night to make sure no one can get in to the room with the most activity. There is only 2 people with keys to the building and they are all present when locking up at night and openening up in the morning so no one has entered the building all night and the kitchen would be upside down??????

Hi Jelly Baby,

just out of interest but ....

Has or did the Bishop of Sheffield performed an exorcism yet ?

There is also the Yorkshire Paranormal Society who might be interested. They placed a post on here somewhere earlier in the year I think.

Guest Jelly Baby

Hi Jelly Baby,

just out of interest but ....

Has or did the Bishop of Sheffield performed an exorcism yet ?

I am waiting for a priest to come back to me not all priests do exorcisms i have been told and we have 1 in our area who will perform one and i am just waiting for him to get back to me via phone.

This morning the manager got there to find black bags had been stuffed down the male toilet and the air conditioning on full blast!! all this without setting the alarm off very strange!!