A missing airman's grave?

Guest tsavo

Guest Trefcon

Might be a clue, talking to one of the councils cemetery employees at Norton last year, he asked me if i had seen the airmans headstone at City Rd, apparently it has propellers on it? As you walk through the main gates he said it was just about in front of you? I have had a sleep since, but im sure thats what he told me.

Dean.

A Hampden bomber which crashed in Concord Park on April 19th, 1941, was completely smashed and burned out. Of its crew of two, one was killed and the other injured. From the scant information available it appears that the Hampden P1248 hit a barrage-balloon cable, presumably killing the observer/navigator - Pilot Officer J.B. Ranson, and then crashed. The pilot, Pilot Officer Allsebrook, escaped by parachute. Enquiries in the Park area, however, have failed to provide impact site for either incident. Details of the fatality are from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Name: RANSON, JEFFERY BOHUN

Initials: J B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Date of Death: 19/04/1941

Service No: 61957

Additional information: Son of Ernest and Florence Ranson, of East Hanningfield, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. H. Grave 994.

Cemetery: SHEFFIELD (CITY ROAD) CEMETERY

As an aside, I believe that the officer who escaped the Hampden, Pilot Officer Allsebrook, died two years later whilst serving with RAF 617 sqaudron

Name: ALLSEBROOK, RALF ATHELSIE POLE

Initials: R A P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Unit Text: 617 Sqdn.

Date of Death: 16/09/1943

Service No: 62267

Awards: D S O, D F C

Additional information: Son of George Clarence and Dorothy Allnutt Allsebrook, of Cark-in-Cartmel, Lancashire. Qualified for B.A. (Oxon.).

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 24. G. 14.

Cemetery: REICHSWALD FOREST WAR CEMETERY