Discovery of Spence Broughton's Gibbet

Guest tsavo

Well spotted Danny:

1881 Census:

77 Clifton Street; Mary Pickering; Head; Widow; Age 49; Born Attercliffe, Yorks

79 Clifton Street, Yellow Lion; Benjamin Fieldsend; Head; Married; Age 42; Publican; Born Sheffield, Yorks

The reports from the time say that the post was discovered when building the houses opposite the Yellow Lion, so it was probably where one of the 80s are south east of Lynn Place.

Jeremy

Well spotted Danny:

1881 Census:

77 Clifton Street; Mary Pickering; Head; Widow; Age 49; Born Attercliffe, Yorks

79 Clifton Street, Yellow Lion; Benjamin Fieldsend; Head; Married; Age 42; Publican; Born Sheffield, Yorks

The reports from the time say that the post was discovered when building the houses opposite the Yellow Lion, so it was probably where one of the 80s are south east of Lynn Place.

Jeremy

There's another photo in JR Wrigleys book an "East End Camera" which would appear to be the rear of the Yellow Lion (with the two rear extensions) and the wall at the rear behind which where the gibbet post was "dumped" when Spence Broughton's remains were freed and which itself was removed c.1962. You can see a small path behind.

Leader also gives this information

It was Mr. Henry Sorby, of Woodburn, who took down the gibbet

when the land on which it was erected became his property. His chief

motive was to put a stop to the injury done by trespassers visiting this

relic of a barbarous custom. I suppose he must have cut it off instead

of taking it up out of the ground. The gibbet was deposited in his

coach-house, where I saw it. I am not clear what afterwards became of

the post, but I am under the impression that it was used for a beam in a

cottage, and that it was removed in consequence of the prejudice it

caused against the house.

Engraving :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s13124

Which is Carbrook hall and which direction is the artist looking please?

Guest plain talker

Clifton street still runs from Attercliffe common to Surbiton street as it did in 1903...

Of topic, I know, but I'm fascinated to see Carltonville Road where my Grandfather's house was, and Ravensworth (listed as Ravenworth on the map?) Road where my great-grandpa's house was.

on the map, of 1903 the area where my grandfather's house was appears to be as yet unbuilt, yet I was sure their house was older, mid 1860s to 1870s. My Great-grandpa's house (number 33) is shown as being in existence.

wow!

Of topic, I know, but I'm fascinated to see Carltonville Road where my Grandfather's house was, and Ravensworth (listed as Ravenworth on the map?) Road where my great-grandpa's house was.

on the map, of 1903 the area where my grandfather's house was appears to be as yet unbuilt, yet I was sure their house was older, mid 1860s to 1870s. My Great-grandpa's house (number 33) is shown as being in existence.

wow!

A sports ground in 1893, according to this ..

wow!

Both roads seem to exist in 1905; 32 Ravensworth Road occupied by Joel Senior in 1905.