Burns Terrace

dunsbyowl1867

I have been searching for the above street on the maps and can't find it - I think it was near Tinsley Tram sheds and there was a pub on the corner called the Burns Hotel. Could someone (SteveHB lol ) please copy me close up including no 11 if it does appear on there please?

I have been searching for the above street on the maps and can't find it - I think it was near Tinsley Tram sheds and there was a pub on the corner called the Burns Hotel. Could someone (SteveHB lol ) please copy me close up including no 11 if it does appear on there please?

I have had a good look Dunsbyowl but I can't see it,

sorry :(

Steve

I have had a good look Dunsbyowl but I can't see it,

sorry :(

Steve

In the Pubs section there is one entry for the Burns Hotel Carbrook - 1871 Isaac Dixon

On the 1871 census for Isaac Dixon he is at the Burns Tavern Sheffield Rd Tinsley. On the pages either side there is mention of Burns Terrace Sheffield Rd. Also on these nearby pages is the Commercial Hotel, Tinsley Hotel and the Plumpers Hotel. No numbers are indicated for the houses on Sheffield Rd except for numerous mention of "Sales Houses".

Following the Census route I think this is all the Rotherham side of the present M1 junction and Burns Terrace is a Terrace of Houses on Sheffield Rd.hope this helps

Stuart

Have changed my mind, the area on the 1871 is the Sheffield side of the present M1

To quote from Micheal Liversidge's Attercliffe "a wander up the Cliffe"

"The area at the top of Weeden St, where it joins Attercliffe Common, was noted for the number of Public Houses. On one side of the Common The Commercial, The Royal Hotel , The Union and opposite the Tinsley Hotel, The Burns Hotel. all within 780 yards of each other"

On the 1871 census Burns Terrace is next to the Burns Hotel.

What were "Sales Houses"? I assume in 1871 this was before the large steelworks were built.

1948 Kelly Sheffield Road

Tinsley Hotel

--------------------

Lockhouse Road

------------------------

2 Burns Hotel

10 baxby jn arthur

12 darwent arnold inman tobacconist

14 milner george herbert-newsagent

36 Cooke William & co Ltd -wire rope manufacturers

Tinsley Wire Industries Ltd wire manu.

Guest Gramps

Here's where it was...

The roadway is still there, alongside Aldi leading up to Carbrook tram stop.

Tinsley Hotel was just across the way.

Thanks very much to you all - and for the map Gramps my Great Grandad lived there in 1910 next time I'm ther I'll have a look!

Guest Gramps

I'm afraid there is nothing left of the old buildings on that side of the common except for the Pheasant Inn (now the Stumble Inn). The roadway leads up to the tram stop and there is a footbridge over the railway that takes you to the canal. The towpath is a pleasant walk these days.

On the opposite side the old tram sheds are still there and I believe the Commercial is still there but not sure that it remains open.