My Grandad

dunsbyowl1867

Would have been 90 last Sunday. I'd like to post this photo of him. He was a mechanic in the RAF from 1936-1945 and is standing here on the right of this group in Egypt - you can just make out a pyramid behind on the right and the Sphinx to the left. A long way from Grimesthorpe!

My Dad

He joined the RAF on July 20th 1939 ( Strange coincidence i was born July 20th 1948 i had never noticed that before ) and he spent 7 years in Egypt and around that area He shiped out May 8th 1941 two days after getting Married on special licence.

I see a Spinx and a Pyramid, but it being Egypt "where are the camel's ?"

My Uncle David, taken in 1943.

Excellent thanks for those!

Do you think all these blokes actually rode around on these horses and camels or just sat on them for the photographs? All these blokes from Sheffield - walking through Giza must have been like Saturday in Fargate!

Excellent thanks for those!

Do you think all these blokes actually rode around on these horses and camels or just sat on them for the photographs? All these blokes from Sheffield - walking through Giza must have been like Saturday in Fargate!

If you notice on both photos with the horses there is a numbered plaque on the ground and the location is similar. I think it must have been the thing to do, have your photo taken on a horse or camel in front of the pyramids. It would make money for the locals, a souvenir for a loved one and something for the relatives to discuss 65 years later.

Great photo's, wish I could find one of my grandad

If you notice on both photos with the horses there is a numbered plaque on the ground and the location is similar. I think it must have been the thing to do, have your photo taken on a horse or camel in front of the pyramids. It would make money for the locals, a souvenir for a loved one and something for the relatives to discuss 65 years later.

Great photo's, wish I could find one of my grandad

You right there it was obviously big business - came across this photo in a book about the York & Lancs.