Sheffield Great War A-Z

Guest Trefcon

Hello ,

I have finally finished my Great War Roll of Honour A-Z!

I have had to leave it for a few weeks due to the birth of my new son.

160+ Rolls of Honour transcribed into one A-Z, 20,000+ entries.

Also included are the Sheffield men from the Chatham and Plymouth memorials, Sheffield men from de'Ruvigny's Roll of Honour, Grenoside Heroe's Roll of Honour, a modern Darnall Roll of Honour, Sheffield men commemorated on memorials and Rolls of Honour elsewhere in England.

There is a list of Memorials and Rolls of Honour that i have transcribed and a foreword and introduction.

There are Rolls of Honour outstanding to record, but they'll take a bit more research. One Roll i really wanted to include was the one for the Wharnecliffe War Hospital, after finally tracking it down and finding where it was and who had it, i found it had been damaged in the floods and is off limits for the next 18 months!

I have talked to Local Studies and they will get their copy on disc later this week which they are going to print off and bind for the shelves.

Not quite finnished are the Great War headstone inscriptions, i have about a third of City Rd to do and all of Burngreave, again these are heading for Local Studies when done.

I have not included the Sheffield Roll of Honour you can find in the Local Studies.

I would like to see all of this on-line, the whole A-Z, the headstone inscriptions, the photographs of the headstones and the photographs of the Rolls of Honour and Memorials, anyone interested in a small project!!!

I am also open for look ups re the A-Z or any of the other stuff.

Dean.

Glad to see I'm not the only Loony taking on a huge project. Congratulations on the arrival of your Son and on the Labour (Pun intended) of Love you have put into this work.

How can we help ? I'm sure we would love to see your work housed here online (if that is your wish).

Hi Richard, i would love to see it on here.

I'd like to take the opportunity now of thanking every one that has helped me if i may?

My partner Donna, Peter Bayliss, Sheffield Local Studies, Anne Diver, Hugh W from this forum with some Walkley stuff, and anyone i have missed! Oscar speech over now!

Re getting it on here, i haven't a clue about the mechanics of that! But the forum is more than welcome to it, help!

Dean.

Few things we need to know :

What filetype is it ? Word, Excel, Access ? some we can post, some we can't, but we can convert it whatever it is.

How many files are we talking, is it just one big list, or is it broken down into lots of smaller files?

What is the size of the file(s) ?

Alternatively, just email the buggers to me; I'll have a look and let you know how best to do it. Email address heading your way via PM.

Would just like to thank RichardB for getting the A-Z on here, thank you Richard.

More thanks as well to Sue, KnightsTemplar, for the tussle with the Dolphin Street memorial.

Dean.

That really is great work Dean.

Thanks to you I have pinned down a distant relative who I suspected was the right person but couldn't pin it down - you don't get many of those - especially on the Darnall War memorial!

How did he end up in the Royal Scots Fusiliers?

from CWGC site.

Name: BIGGADIKE, ARTHUR

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 03/05/1917

Service No: 20371

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 5.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Hi Dunsbyowl, glad to help.

Arthur's service papers and Medal Index Card are on Ancestry.

Maybe there is Scottish blood in the family and Arthur followed that? But also at the start of the war i think you could more or less join which ever unit you wanted to, he might have followed his best mate into the Fusiliers? then as the war went on you were put where needed!

Dean.