Looking for some help re engineering company

Guest Woody1uk

Guest Woody1uk

Looking for any information on Wood , Walsh & Co. Please, we know nothing much of this at all but my husbands fathers documents had a letter concerning this business which we beleive he was the WOOD in the business name.

He was an engineer and it was Wood, Walsh & Co engineering. Sheffield.

Also any cutlers of the name John Wood and William Wood, any information on this would be brilliant. We know Most of the men in the family were Cutlery Manufacturers but unfortunately are not able to trace the cutlery down to a certain brand etc...they were table knife manufacturers mainly.?

Thank you

woody

White’s 1919/20 Directory

Wood, Walsh & Co. Limited, engineers, Aizlewood road. T.N. 36 Sharrow

Walsh Francis Henry, engineer (Wood, Walsh & Co. Ltd.) ; h. 10 Millmount rd. Meersbrook Bank

Can't find a WOOD in this directory linked to this company.

Nor can I find the company or this Walsh in 1911 (Directory)

Can you give some first names of the WOODs you think are invloved?

Hugh

Guest Woody1uk

White’s 1919/20 Directory

Wood, Walsh & Co. Limited, engineers, Aizlewood road. T.N. 36 Sharrow

Walsh Francis Henry, engineer (Wood, Walsh & Co. Ltd.) ; h. 10 Millmount rd. Meersbrook Bank

Can't find a WOOD in this directory linked to this company.

Nor can I find the company or this Walsh in 1911 (Directory)

Can you give some first names of the WOODs you think are invloved?

Hugh

Hello Hugh and thank you for the reply. I know it is Frank Wood, I have a letter here to Frank Wood Esq and the address you gave : 36 Sharrow is on it....Frank Wood is my husbands father. The letter I have is a Notice of a call on shares.... Addressed to Frank Wood Esq, 23 Harefield Road, Sheffield. Telegrams: Wood 36 Sharrow: The letter is dated August 9th 1917 and there is a heading on the paper reads: Wood, Walsh & Company Ltd. General Engineers. There appears to be an address something like: 65 St Marys Lane but then that is blacked out and a new address of Aizlewood Road is added. It is signed Wood Walsh and Co. E Scott Robinson (Secretary).

We also Know Frank had shares in Hermitage Steel? this is another we know nothing about..

Thank you kindly

Woody

Guest Woody1uk

St Mary's Lane was a narrow street of Hermitage Street, so Hermitage Steel was probably somewhere in the area.

Hugh

Hello Hugh

Thank you for that information, that makes sense really then doesn't it. We just wanted to know some more of Frank's background... workwise etc. We know he worked for Hadfields during WW1 as we have his exemption card as he was (we think) supervisor....foreman whatever at the time and Hadfields were making Munitions. But again, we know little else about this.

Woody