Little Mesters question

Guest xofe

many thanks, thats the chap!

i used to spend many a day in his workshop turning the machines off!!

friend of my late father, i have a stunning example of one of his knives and am doing a little research.

thanks again

max

Guest Smiling-Knife

many thanks, thats the chap!

i used to spend many a day in his workshop turning the machines off!!

friend of my late father, i have a stunning example of one of his knives and am doing a little research.

thanks again

max

Hi Max,

There is an excerpt about Fred James in Tweedale's Sheffield knife book. Apparently he started work as an apprentice with Christopher Johnsons in 1935. Following military service, he returned to CJs until 1956 when it was bought out by Wostenholm. He spent some time a Wostenholm's Washington works where he was in charge of the materials department. Fred started his own businbess in 1971 when Wostenholm and Rodgers merged. He was best known for making bowie knives in the 19th century style. I hope this is of interest. I'd like to see photos of your knives if possible please.

Hi Max,

There is an excerpt about Fred James in Tweedale's Sheffield knife book. Apparently he started work as an apprentice with Christopher Johnsons in 1935. Following military service, he returned to CJs until 1956 when it was bought out by Wostenholm. He spent some time a Wostenholm's Washington works where he was in charge of the materials department. Fred started his own businbess in 1971 when Wostenholm and Rodgers merged. He was best known for making bowie knives in the 19th century style. I hope this is of interest. I'd like to see photos of your knives if possible please.

thankyou i have that book, so will have a look, will get a pic and pm you.

max