Millhouses & Ecclesall Station

Stuart0742

Link to Map 53

Ordnance survey have named Millhouses & Ecclesall Station as Millhouses & Eccleshall. Is it purely a typo on their part? or is there some history to the spelling Eccleshall.

Any views?

Link to Map 53

Ordnance survey have named Millhouses & Ecclesall Station as Millhouses & Eccleshall. Is it purely a typo on their part? or is there some history to the spelling Eccleshall.

Any views?

It could be deliberate. Mapmakers often deliberately put minor errors on their maps so they can check whether anyone uses their work without permission and passes it off as their own. The A_Z people do it quite often, usually with slight mis-spellings. One example is the Sheffield A-Z which has 'BoleHill' above Fulwood as 'Bore Hill' Or as you say it could be a typo!

I'm not aware of any period when our Ecclesall was spelled with an H. Perhaps the person drawing the map was a Brummie!

White's 1901 directory also calls it Millhouses & Eccleshall station. I think that Bayleaf is right that in both cases it is a mistake. However, they never seemed to decide what they wanted to call this station. From various directories:

1879 & 1881 — Ecclesall & Millhouses: Station master = Henry Darby

1893 — Millhouses & Ecclesall Station: Station master = Henry Darby

1894 — Mill Houses & Ecclesall

1901 — Millhouses & Eccleshall: Station master = F. J. Mayall

1908 & 1911 — Millhouses & Ecclesall: Station master = Frank J. Mayall

Jeremy

Guest plain talker

It could be deliberate. Mapmakers often deliberately put minor errors on their maps so they can check whether anyone uses their work without permission and passes it off as their own. The A_Z people do it quite often, usually with slight mis-spellings. One example is the Sheffield A-Z which has 'BoleHill' above Fulwood as 'Bore Hill' Or as you say it could be a typo!

I'm not aware of any period when our Ecclesall was spelled with an H. Perhaps the person drawing the map was a Brummie!

(my bold)

this is true, Beeley Street, off Cemetery Road is shown in my (current) A-Z as not being cut-off at London Road junction, when, in truth, there is no way through onto London Road.

It's not very clear but I can't see an 'H' in the official station sign shown in a photo in one of the 'Abbeydale and Millhouses' books I have.

It's not very clear but I can't see an 'H' in the official station sign shown in a photo in one of the 'Abbeydale and Millhouses' books I have.

I am sure I have a photo somewhere with the station name spelt as Eccleshall, but I can't find it. The railways were notorious for mis-spelling station names and changing them. As an example of this, the Railway Clearing House Handbook of 1904 gives the name as Mill Houses and Ecclesall. Just down the line, Beauchief Station is named as Beauchief and Abbey Dale. (this station was originally called Abbey Houses)

Deepcar Station was originally Deep Car, and until the end Oughtibridge had a station called Oughty Bridge. Similarly the railways had an area of Sheffield called Meadow Hall. I am surprised the new Meadowhall Station is not Meadow Hall.

I am sure I have a photo somewhere with the station name spelt as Eccleshall, but I can't find it. The railways were notorious for mis-spelling station names and changing them. As an example of this, the Railway Clearing House Handbook of 1904 gives the name as Mill Houses and Ecclesall. Just down the line, Beauchief Station is named as Beauchief and Abbey Dale. (this station was originally called Abbey Houses)

Deepcar Station was originally Deep Car, and until the end Oughtibridge had a station called Oughty Bridge. Similarly the railways had an area of Sheffield called Meadow Hall. I am surprised the new Meadowhall Station is not Meadow Hall.

To update myself: I was having a bit of a blonde moment. The picture I was thinking of has the station sign clearly in view as "Millhouses & Ecclesall", but the writer has spelt it Eccleshall. Truly awful proof-reading on someone's part.

Further digging both metaphorically (online) and genuinely (amongst masses of books) suggests to me that the station was opened in February 1870 as Ecclesall, was renamed Ecclesall & Mill Houses in 1871 and renamed again to Mill Houses and Ecclesall in 1884. When Mill Houses became Millhouses I have not yet ascertained.

To update myself: I was having a bit of a blonde moment. The picture I was thinking of has the station sign clearly in view as "Millhouses & Ecclesall", but the writer has spelt it Eccleshall. Truly awful proof-reading on someone's part.

Further digging both metaphorically (online) and genuinely (amongst masses of books) suggests to me that the station was opened in February 1870 as Ecclesall, was renamed Ecclesall & Mill Houses in 1871 and renamed again to Mill Houses and Ecclesall in 1884. When Mill Houses became Millhouses I have not yet ascertained.

Speaking of which, in the index of the British Railways Passenger Timetable for Summer 1963 the station is Millhouses and Eccleshall. In the appropriate table it is Millhouses and Ecclesall!

Remembered this as I was browsing through Bob Pixton's North Midland Part 2. There are two photos of the station but in the captions Ecclesall is consistently spelt with an 'h'...five times !! he he

It was the reference to Abbey Houses I was looking for - which ties in with the location name on the 1850s map. I wonder what influenced the railway company to rename the station to Beauchief and Abbey Dale

About four years ago when Kiveton Bridge station was given a face lift the new signs were KIVERTON BRIDGE. a very common mistake I know but should have been checked before installation.

Remembered this as I was browsing through Bob Pixton's North Midland Part 2. There are two photos of the station but in the captions Ecclesall is consistently spelt with an 'h'...five times !! he he

It was the reference to Abbey Houses I was looking for - which ties in with the location name on the 1850s map. I wonder what influenced the railway company to rename the station to Beauchief and Abbey Dale

Could it be as simple as Beauchief and Abbeydale were more easily recognised by local names, the name Abbey Houses not continuing through to modern times.

Did a little (very little) bit more digging in the library this week. The 1883 and 1888 Kelly's directories use the name Ecclesall & Millhouses Railway Station

Jeremy