Oldest Sheffield Plater

RichardB

Not decided about bidding yet; doubtful.

----------------------------------------------

Essentially this is the story of Thomas Boulsover and Old Sheffield Plate but the main subject is set against a background of local and national events to form a social history of Sheffield during several generations of the Boulsover family.

No record of life in Sheffield is complete without continual reference to the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire. The connection between the Cutler's Company and the Boulsover family began in 1684 when Thomas' father was bound as an apprentice.

Thomas Boulsover's accidental discovery turned a poor cutler into a rich and influential gentleman. Sheffield also prospered - a large silver industry grew up alongside the traditional cutlery trade. New craftsmen flocked to the town and the seeds of today's modern city were sown.

The history of Old Sheffield Plate is traced from its small beginnings to a flourishing industry. Methods of manufacture are described to give a comprehensive picture of the processes involved from a copper ingot and silver sheet to the finished article. About 1840 the process of electroplating ousted it from popularity and Old Sheffield Plate lay dormant until it was rediscovered in time to play a vital part in the Second World War.

There is no other published work on Thomas Boulsover and this biography brings to light the story of the man who is described in his obituary as "one of the most ingenious mechanics that Sheffield can boast.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THOMAS-BOULSOVER-The...86.c0.m14.l1318

Hi There

I actually got it. I mistyped the above, it was 8x grandfather married Thomas Boulsovers Sister.

Great ! I didn't bid.

Look forward to hearing some posts from you on the subject then !