Castle Hill

RichardB

This looks like the entrance to the Harringtons area of the Market, was it in living memory a Street or throughfare please ? Between the Bull Pub and Bunneys ...

Guest tsavo

This looks like the entrance to the Harringtons area of the Market, was it in living memory a Street or throughfare please ? Between the Bull Pub and Bunneys ...

Castle Hill was a very short road to what was the Waingate entrance to the original Castle Market. In the picture it's just to the right of the tram. (the curved building) I worked for Castle Hill Studio, Photographers, in 1958 and Castle Hill was it's address.
Hope this helps.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20303&pos=1&action=zoom&id=22818

It was at one time a thoroughfare, but perhaps not in living memory

I have seen a photo of the Exchange street end. Will have a look for it later.

Castle Hill was a very short road to what was the Waingate entrance to the original Castle Market. In the picture it's just to the right of the tram. (the curved building) I worked for Castle Hill Studio, Photographers, in 1958 and Castle Hill was it's address.

Hope this helps.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s20303

Interesting comments here as my father and others of his generation always used to refer to "Castle Market" as "Castle Hill Market", a longer more wordy name and a habit which he has past on to me. It appears from what is being said here that Castle Market is not only on the site of Sheffield Castle but also on the site of an earlier street called Castle Hill.