Sheffield Holiday Works Weeks.

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

Just realised what the date is. Forty years ago this would have been the time of the "Works Weeks" holiday. Traditionally the last week in July and the first in August, it was a time for the steelworks repair and maintenance when furnaces were relined and yearly remedial work took place. Some Sheffield cinemas shut down for these two weeks as steelworkers headed for Skegness and Bridlington. The sky was noticeably clearer and the city centre much quieter.

Guest bus man

There are some famous photos of the SUT coaches heading out for works weeks plus extra trains and of course for those who didnt go for the week there were the clubs outings

Guest tsavo

Around 1949 or '50 I went to Middleton Towers, which I think was in Morecombe. It was an army camp during the war and at the back had a huge field full of old abandoned army lorries. My playground for the entire holiday!

Guest tsavo

That's the same one, were the old trucks still there? To us it was paradise, if a bit grimey.

Guest carlie167

Yes, I can remember Sheffield being like a ghost town during works weeks.

I worked in the Castle Market and it was the quietest two weeks of the year, so we used the time to give the shop a good fettling (love that word!)

It did feel strange getting the bus to work and back, with few passengers, and Pond St almost deserted, Sheffield almost felt like a different city.

Ah well, thats took me down memory lane for a little while, thank you. ;-) ;-)

Guest bus man

Even in the 1970's the PTE stopped running most of the works services as it wasnt worth them running

I remember the shutdown and it was great. We used to go to Ingoldmels for 2 weeks every year and practically all our road used to be there so all the kids used to know each other. Typically we'd all go crabbing or play football. Any arguments with neighbours were always put aside and everyone was happy. As a kid I would says these probably the best days of my life.

I always remember the drive back to sheffield and we always used to come in by the cliff; the smell of the iron and industry was horrible after 2 weeks away.

That's the same one, were the old trucks still there? To us it was paradise, if a bit grimey.

Can't remember seeing any trucks at Middleton Tower (Pontins), but I do remember my first try at snooker in the games lounge and also my first attempt at golf.

'Took a swing at the ball' and hit Dad smack in the mouth with the club 'He was not very pleased at all' I still remember that ferocious look on his face, as I watched the blood trickle down his chin! Thought he was going to kill me :(

Think the year would be 1962 as I can remember one particular record being played quite a lot,

Wonderful Land by The Shadows, so I would have been seven years old at the time.

Middleton Tower was sold to a land developer and in 1996 and the Home office unveiled plans for a temporary medium security prison on the site. A public inquiry was held and the plans were dropped after fierce local opposition.

Middleton Tower Holiday Camp, near Morecambe

Guest Gasman

Yes, It was also the time when many young people got married. Our wedding date is in July 64 during "Works Weeks" and a lot of our friends also married during this period.