Stamp shop

RichardB

Bought my first "Penny Black" there, flawed, but it seemed like a fortune at the time - 1972 £15, aged 10 - still got it !

Guest transit

I'm assuming it's gone .... it was a while ago !

I often used the one in the middle of Castle Market - flying down after school and getting there just before they closed - stamps from all over the world in various little bags or buy "special" ones out of the flip catalogues on the counter. the more rare and expensive ones were behind the upright glass aroud the sides of the stall - including the pinacle (to a shoolkid stamp collector) Penny Black. I only managed to reach the heights of a Penny Red , but at 10 years old , thought i had won gold!!! BTW , £15 back in 72 ,was a lot of money for a schoolkid -- the very first Raleigh Chopper came out late that year at a princely sum of £34 !!!! Now they are £500 on ebay!!(proper mk1 types-not the girlie style resurection). Wonder what a Penny Black is worth today-and do you still have yours? ;-)

Used to love flicking thro big binders for all the colourful ones, Umm-al-Quwain my favourite, tropical fish and animals. Still got em. Also have penny black/red.

Picture removed due to RichardB's insulting remark about "real" stamps. Takes the huff. <_<

I only have "real" stamps, tremendous collection of English - if anyone would like to see I will scan. My collection reduced a 60 year old work colleague to tears. Some Sheffield content already posted - somewhere - see Tsavo !

I do have "The King" of English Stamps, there were 140 million Penny Blacks produced/used

the real "Elvis" of English stamps was produced in 1929, I'll leave you with that as a small quizette - costs more than a Penny Back - mine cost £300 in Whitby in about 1990.

I often used the one in the middle of Castle Market - flying down after school and getting there just before they closed - stamps from all over the world in various little bags or buy "special" ones out of the flip catalogues on the counter. the more rare and expensive ones were behind the upright glass aroud the sides of the stall - including the pinacle (to a shoolkid stamp collector) Penny Black. I only managed to reach the heights of a Penny Red , but at 10 years old , thought i had won gold!!! BTW , £15 back in 72 ,was a lot of money for a schoolkid -- the very first Raleigh Chopper came out late that year at a princely sum of £34 !!!! Now they are £500 on ebay!!(proper mk1 types-not the girlie style resurection). Wonder what a Penny Black is worth today-and do you still have yours? ;-)

I loved that shop in the market and used to spend ages looking at the stamps. Some that particularly stuck in my mind were German ones with Hitler's head on from the 1930's. I was also intrigued by this -which I bought from there in the mid 1970s,using up my savings. I don't know why I just had to have it - I still don't know what it for!!! I recently spent days trying to find one of those traditional Stanley Gibbons albums for my kids. Anyone remember "Gaye Venture" albums?