Old Tin Church

Guest Al Pearson

Guest Al Pearson

My mother was born in Sheffield in 1918 and went to the "Old Tin Church" during WWII and she said that it was destroyed. Any help in the name of the church ? My mums name was Madge Nunnington, can't seem to find many Nunnington's in Sheffield records so I am trying to find the church she referred to. Any pictures of the church?

Nunnington was a Maiden name or a married name please ?

Madge = Margaret ? (I'm assuming your Mother was not Madonna !)

Guest tsavo

There was a tin church at Crookes. Can't remember the date but will have a poke around. Any connection with the Crookes area........?

A little later....

Found it. The tin chapel was built on the Bole Hills in 1904 as St Timothy's Mission Church. A new site was purchased on Slinn Street in 1909 and the tin chapel was rebuilt on this new site. The stone built replacement building was dedicated in 1911.

Hope this helps.

....The tin chapel was built on the Bole Hills in 1904 as St Timothy's Mission Church....

The first Crookes book (Crookes: The History of a Sheffield Village) says that the iron church was a mission church for St Thomas' before it was moved to Slinn Street. There is a photo of it on the Bole Hills.

Hugh

There was a tin church at Crookes. Can't remember the date but will have a poke around. Any connection with the Crookes area........?

A little later....

Found it. The tin chapel was built on the Bole Hills in 1904 as St Timothy's Mission Church. A new site was purchased on Slinn Street in 1909 and the tin chapel was rebuilt on this new site. The stone built replacement building was dedicated in 1911.

Hope this helps.

Rev. James Metcalfe Vicar of St. Timothy's The Vicarage, Slinn Street (White's 1911)

Rev George R Ekins Vicar of St Timothy's The Vicarage, 152 Slinn Street (Kelly's 1925)

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

The first Crookes book (Crookes: The History of a Sheffield Village) says that the iron church was a mission church for St Thomas' before it was moved to Slinn Street. There is a photo of it on the Bole Hills.

Hugh

Rev. Francis Owen Incumbent of St Thomas' Crookes White's 1849

Rev Francis Owen incumbent of St Thomas's Crookes White's 1852

Rev. Constantine Clementson Vicar of St Thomas' Crookes Vicarage, School Road Kelly's 1893

Rev. Oswald C Goold Curate of St Thomas', Crookes 31 Hoole Road White's 1919

Some interesting dates if nothing else ... :blink:

Guest tsavo

Sorry Hugh, it was St. Timothy's church, not St Thomas's. It was built on land between Slinn St and Bradley St.

There were other 'tin chapels around at this time at Wadsley Bridge and, I'm told, around Rural Lane, Wisewood. I've also a feeling that Crookes Baptist Church, off Mulehouse Rd, also started as a tin chapel.

Guest Al Pearson

Nunnington was her maiden name. Madge was her given name. She grew up on Langsett street, near the Barracks, lived there from 1918-1953, then came to the USA, here mother did washing for the folks in the steeet, I have an old postcard of Sheffield (30's?) of the area and it shows the washing hanging out to dry in thier garden.

Guest tsavo

Think you must mean Langsett Rd. Don't remember any Langsett St in Sheffield 6. I think lots of churches started as tin chapels while money was raised for a proper building.

Nunnington 1948 directory

Mrs Dorothy, 69 Hawthorn Road Hillsborough

Mrs Edith, 67 Loxley New Road Hillsborough

Mrs Ellen 32 Norris Road Hillsborough

George 6 Carrill Drive Wadsley Bridge

Guest Al Pearson

I'll dig up the picture, scan it and post.

67 Lokley New road is it, Edith Nunnington was my grandmother. She would have loved the supertram 100 yards away!... My father was born at New Barrack Tavern on 601 Pensitone road...still there! His grandparents and uncle died there. Still looking to find where my grandfather Jabez was buried, he was crushed and killed at one of the steelworks, is there a list of persons who lost their lives at the steel mills in Sheffield?

Is there a list of all the steelworks which were in Sheffield? Sort of like an old Pubs list?

Guest tsavo

Loxley New Rd would place her closest to the tin chapel at Rural Lane Wisewood. I don't remember it, but my wife says it was turned into a little sweet shop directly opposite Wisewood school gates.

PS

PLEASE....don't suggest a listing for steelworks....Richard might see it and think......!

Good luck with rest of the search.

This is a photo of a tin church, or tabernacle, as they are known, near us in Lincolnshire - my children go to school in this village.

Christ Church, pictured above, is a recent addition to the village, having been erected in 1893, and is one of England's few remaining tin tabernacles, tucked away in a side lane yet still serving the community as a place for worship after more than a century although its construction was an early form of prefabrication, made elsewhere from corrugated iron and erected on site for less than £400.

Here's a website dedicated to them.

http://www.tintabernacles.com/

Sorry Hugh, it was St. Timothy's church, not St Thomas's. It was built on land between Slinn St and Bradley St.

The Crookes book says the iron church was on the Bole Hills from 1904. St Timothy's Parish was not created until 1908. Certainly it bacame St Timothy's, but it seems it was associated with St Thomas' before that.

Bole Hills c 1905, Cocked Hat Place on the right.

Hugh

67 Lokley New road is it, Edith Nunnington was my grandmother. She would have loved the supertram 100 yards away!... My father was born at New Barrack Tavern on 601 Penistone road...still there! His grandparents and uncle died there. Still looking to find where my grandfather Jabez was buried, he was crushed and killed at one of the steelworks,

In 1919/20 (White's Directory):

67 Loxley New Road

Nunnington Wilfred, shear bender

Is this your grandfather, the one who died in an accident? Do you have a date for his death? This may well be the entry in the GRO index:

GRO Deaths MAR Qtr 1925

NUNNINGTON Wilfred 48y

Sheffield 9c 621

It is likely there was an inquest report in the local newspapers.

Hugh

Guest tsavo

My week for saying sorry......misread the book.....(retreats with sorrowful look, feeling contrite)....Sorry Hugh.

PS

PLEASE....don't suggest a listing for steelworks....Richard might see it and think......!

I like to encourage, educate, inspire - when I recover from the Pubs which seemed harder work than my Degree then I'll consider another big undertaking ... unless anyone mentions Spirits Vaults, Porter Merchants, Maltsters, Brewerys and/or Wine we've barely started yet ... Steelworks, now thats for a Steelworks person ... I'll help all I can.

Hang on, Steelworks, now there's an idea ........ Tsavo ..... Dodderd .... Hello.... Hello ?