Anyone Remember ?

dunsbyowl1867

When I was at school in the 1970's there used to be a sign up next to this entrance on the Barnsley Rd/Norwood Rd junction (just below the Sportsman) stating it was the home of something like the "Sheffield Film Society". I think it was by the entrance to the right of this house.

Anyone remember this or know anything about it ?

I remember the sign very well, Dunsbyowl. I used to catch the 97 from Southey terminus into town ....... as you turned on to Barnsley Road off Norwood Road (just above The Limes Club) the wooden sign was at the bottom of a sweeping drive up to one of the big houses, I seem to remember the garden always looked overgrown.

"Sheffield Amateur Cine Club" seems to ring a bell, perhaps?

I remember the sign very well, Dunsbyowl. I used to catch the 97 from Southey terminus into town ....... as you turned on to Barnsley Road off Norwood Road (just above The Limes Club) the wooden sign was at the bottom of a sweeping drive up to one of the big houses, I seem to remember the garden always looked overgrown.

"Sheffield Amateur Cine Club" seems to ring a bell, perhaps?

When I was young , I went to an adjacent house which was "The Ninnette ( or was it Antionette?) Daviso School of Dancing".

She had loads of pupils and did a reasonable job teaching me to dance.

She also did other things. When I was about 5 or 6 I had a lot of time off school with illness. I think that made mum and dad think I was a weakling and needed building up so I was sent to Miss Daviso's for PT lessons - handstands , backward and forward rolls etc - was there no end to the womens talents !!

John