Ecclesall Debtors Prison

Guest Skipindave

Guest Skipindave

Hello Listers, my first post to this site, only found it last night, and got some valued info from my visit. My question today is about Ecclesall debtors prison, on the 1841 census I found my ggggrandfather, George Stokes in there I assume for not paying his slate.

I have tried the archives to find records kept by this place, to no avail, tried Leeds, on their suggestion, but no trace.

I am assuming that this is not the Scotland Road prison.

Any info or help about this place would be appreciated

Dave in Inskip

Hello Listers,my first post to this site,only found it last night,and got some valued info from my visit.My question today is about Ecclesall debtors prison,on the 1841 census i found my ggggrandfather,George Stokes in there I assume for not paying his slate.

I have tried the archives to find records kept by this place,to no avail,tried Leeds,on their suggestion,but no trace.

I am assuming that this is not the Scotland Road prison.

Any info or help about this place would be appreciated

Dave in Inskip

Hi Dave, welcome aboard! I believe the Ecclesall Debtors Prison was around where Tudor Square now stands, not the Scotland Street one.

Guest Skipindave

Hi Dave, welcome aboard! I believe the Ecclesall Debtors Prison was around where Tudor Square now stands, not the Scotland Street one.

Hello Bayleaf and thanks for your reply,I have seen it on an old map of Sheff,which I can't find at the moment,but appeared to be alongside a workhouse. I will get on to multimap and see where Tudor Square is.

Thanks for now

Dave in Inskip

That'll be George Stokes, Spectacle maker, not born in the County. Listed as 35, but age probably rounded (as they did in 1841 Census); everyone is 25, 30, 35, 40 etc etc

1861 George Stokes (now listed as Sheffield born, lazt enumerator)

Court 13 Pond Street, Park

Death ?

Name: George Stokes

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1805

Year of Registration: 1880

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

Age at Death: 75

District: Sheffield

County: South Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

Volume: 9c

Page: 287

Worth a look ...

Not much of an answer to your original question though !

Guest Skipindave

1861 George Stokes (now listed as Sheffield born, lazt enumerator)

Court 13 Pond Street, Park

Hello Richard,yes thats the man,he is my brickwall,I reckon he was born in Birmingham,his son William born in Birmingham,he took off for Sheffield leaving wife and son in Birmingham,William followed some time after.

Of all the Stokes's in Birmingham,of which there are loads,its the optician/spectacle maker,which ties them together.

I was explaining to Bayleaf that I have seen a map somewhere,which I am sure puts the prison nearer to Little Sheffied,but I am struggling to find it at the moment.

Anyway,thanks for your info,our paths have crossed on the Sheffield Indexers chatroom in the past.

Bye for now

Dave in Inskip

Guest Skipindave

Death ?

Name: George Stokes

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1805

Year of Registration: 1880

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

Age at Death: 75

District: Sheffield

County: South Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

Volume: 9c

Page: 287

Worth a look ...

Not much of an answer to your original question though !

Correction Richard, that was Sheffield Records Online chatroom. NOT Sheffield indexers.

Got to get that one right

Dave in Inskip

Guest Skipindave

For Bayleaf and Richard B

In looking for the old map I found a better one,Ecclesall Prison for Debtors,was contained in the square formed by Moor Street,Young Street and Bishop Street,on Multimap the area is now covered by a warehouse.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Richard,while I was exploring the site yesterday I found a list of Sheffield Pubs which included the Barrel Inn,Pond Street,with a list of Licencee's.

1893 William Stokes my g grandfather.

1901 Ann Stokes my g grandmother

1905 to 1925 John Whitehouse was married to Ann's daughter,my g aunt.

I have about me 6 Sheets of a4 which contain the inventory and valuation of the Barrel Inn when transferred to John Whitehouse. I thought that these may be of interest and would like to put them on the site,but dont know how,can you help please.

Dave in inskip

In looking for the old map I found a better one,Ecclesall Prison for Debtors,was contained in the square formed by Moor Street,Young Street and Bishop Street,on Multimap the area is now covered by a warehouse.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Richard,while I was exploring the site yesterday I found a list of Sheffield Pubs which included the Barrel Inn,Pond Street,with a list of Licencee's.

1893 William Stokes my g grandfather.

1901 Ann Stokes my g grandmother

1905 to 1925 John Whitehouse was married to Ann's daughter,my g aunt.

I have about me 6 Sheets of a4 which contain the inventory and valuation of the Barrel Inn when transferred to John Whitehouse. I thought that these may be of interest and would like to put them on the site,but dont know how,can you help please.

Dave in inskip

Email the buggers to me !!!! :rolleyes:

Richard.Brant@amec.com

Many thanks

Or, post photocopies to :

Richard A. Brant

Amec

Hanzard Drive

Wynyard Business Park

Stockton on Tess

TS22 5FD

Carrier pigeon also accepted

Hi dave. Would that be the 1823 map? I just found it too! Forgetmy earlier post, though I'm sure I've seen something about the other location recently. If I turn it up I'll let you know

Bayleaf

Guest Skipindave

Hi dave. Would that be the 1823 map? I just found it too! Forgetmy earlier post, though I'm sure I've seen something about the other location recently. If I turn it up I'll let you know

Bayleaf

Hello Bayleaf,yes it was the 1823 print,with on the l/h side the prominent places listed 46 being the Ecclesall debtors prison.

Dave in Inskip

Hello Bayleaf,yes it was the 1823 print,with on the l/h side the prominent places listed 46 being the Ecclesall debtors prison.

Dave in Inskip

Hi Dave

Just found where I saw the reference I mentioned. Total misreading on my part, read it again and it agrees with your map. Apologies! :rolleyes: