The Nook

RichardB

Guest tsavo

nook (nk)

n.

1. A small corner, alcove, or recess, especially one in a large room.

2. A hidden or secluded spot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English nok, probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Norwegian dialectal nk, hook.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Excellent, but, you know me ... it wasn't always called The Nook, it had a persons name associated with it - it was "Surname" Nook, 1820's-1850's; so we need the mans name - everyone else is excused, this is a personal Tsavo-Wind-Up question !!!

Guest tsavo

Oh, no, not another Blue Coat question! Barbers Nook springs to mind, but I've read somewhere that it was probably not named after a person or family, but more likely the word Barber meaning foreigner.

Oh, no, not another Blue Coat question! Barbers Nook springs to mind, but I've read somewhere that it was probably not named after a person or family, but more likely the word Barber meaning foreigner.

Barber Nook sounds good to me, so who might Mr Barber be/have been ?

The Nook and Barber Nook are not the same thing. The Nook is a cul-de-sac on the left side of Barber Road going up. Barber Nook, which is much older, is on the other side near the co-op. It was there as a farm/hamlet in the middle of fields before anything else around it was built (including Barber Road). It still contains the old house (18th century or earlier?) which was the home of the BARBER family.

Sheffield Local Register

22 Aug 1840

Decease of Mr. Wm. Barber, of Barber Nook, cattle dealer, aged 62.

A little later there was a Miss Barber (daughter?) who gave land for the creation of Barber Road.

1851 Ordnance Survey Map

Crookesmoor Road at bottom right.

Commonside a little way off the map at top left.

I think that Barber Road is a bit to the left of the line of 'Barber Nook Lane'.

Hugh

It still contains the old house (18th century or earlier?) which was the home of the BARBER family.

Even better !!! It still contains the old house, I like the sound of that !!!

Thanks for the correction and the updated, old information - you know what I men !

In the 1841 census there are 63 people in approximately 12 households at Barber Nook, headed by...

1841 census

1333/3 e.d. 1 folio 4b

Barber Nook

(Ecclesall Bierlow)

Martha BARBER 55 farmer

Eliza BARBER 25

Ann Barbary BARBER 20

Quite a few of the other heads of household are file cutters. This seems a bit like the situation at Clough Fields where there was a farm with outbuildings and several cottages occupied by file cutters.

The fact that this is Ecclesall Bierlow (which is also noted on the map) is a good illustration of the strange fragmentation of the boundary between Nether Hallam and Ecclesall Bierlow. Barber Nook is a gobbet of E.B. wholly within Nether Hallam.

You can also see this effect on this 1832 map.

I think (I am guessing) that this state of affairs was created because landowners held properties in several places when the boundaries of the townships were formalised at some time well before the 19th century.

I think Ann Barbary (Barbara) BARBER married Samuel Saville BOWER which will explain the origin of BOWER Road.

Hugh

I found the article by Sidney Addy in which he says the 'Barber' placenames are not derived from a family name but from an old word for heathen. He does not, however list any actual evidence as far as I can see. He does say that he personally knew Mrs Barbara Barber (wife of a William and mother of the William who died in 1840, I think). In the absence of evidence I think that it is more likely that the place was named for the family.

Hugh