Tintown at the Derwent Dams

Guest OLD No.12

Guest OLD No.12

There is a book on the made up village called Tintown it was written by Brian Robinson. Does he have his own website please ?

Right, you've lost me now ... I'm not a number, I am a free man !

I am lost also lol as all i have is .. Moscar Rise Hollowmeadows 1909

Guest carlie167

A not a fantastic photo but it gives some idea as to the area that Tintown covered.

Thanks for the pic, I always wondered what Tintown looked like, was it also called Birchinlea or was that somewhere else?

Oops, sorry just re read your post and seen the link to the article ;-)

I've walked around the dams a few times. There are history/information boards where the town used to be - it's hard to believe it was ever there.

I don't know if this helps place it. The picture is looking north up the valley in 1912 from the southeastern slopes of Ouzelden Clough. The dam wall in the background is Howden dam.

Guest carlie167

Love the photo Bayleaf, it does help to place where it was. I can see it now in my minds eye, I didnt have much of a clue before although its a fascinating subject, and the next time Im walking round there I will be looking out for the information boards as well. Thank you

I don't know if this helps place it. The picture is looking north up the valley in 1912 from the southeastern slopes of Ouzelden Clough. The dam wall in the background is Howden dam.

Seeing your photo now puts things into perspective, and here was i thiking that my photo was taken looking up the valley,

when infact it is not.

Wrong side of the valley and too far south.

Try here http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.411399&a...r=0&src=msl

There are still remains of TinTown, footings etc. just a short way from the road.

Mike,

your link on FlashEarth goes to the sme spot as my aireal view that you have quoted ?

I thought Tin Town was on the western side of the reservoir ... round about Here

'Tin Town had a Recreation Hall that hosted billiards, dances, concerts, cinema shows, whist drives and dinners.

Shops, post office, public baths, canteen & beer cella, accident hospital, allotments,

and a school & mission room.

A bacteriological sewage plant, waste incinerator and rubbish dump'

What more could one wish for .. :)

'Dam Builders'

Tin Town,

Ladybower, Derwent and Howden Reservoirs.

Most of the contributions are from the Brian Robinson Collection

57 Pages in PDF format ....... ahds.ac.uk/catalogue_2005_Chap8_DamBuilding.pdf

Apparently there was another Tin Town at the quarry where the stone for the dams was quarried - above Padley Gorge.

Interesting article about this quarry - Bole Hill Quarry here. The "Tin Town" gets a brief mention, along with the special workers' trains from Sheffield.

Interesting article about this quarry - Bole Hill Quarry here. The "Tin Town" gets a brief mention, along with the special workers' trains from Sheffield.

Thanks for the link madannie, I've often wondered about the bungalow near the chapel, now I know!