Maps

Guest TCV

Where's a good place to get old maps of Sheffield? Are they expensive and generally easy to read?

That's cheap! You'd need quite a few tho to cover sheffield? Is there a decent one that covers most of Sheff or are u best buying these smaller ones seperately as they have more detail?

Where's a good place to get old maps of Sheffield? Are they expensive and generally easy to read?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha <Cough> hahahahahahahahaha <Gurgle> hahahaha etc etc

Noooo, I bought a job lot of 'em and got rather more than I bargained for. Thought I'd bought 120 maps, turns out its more like 400 - can't move for the buggers ! See postings elsewhere....

Noooo, I bought a job lot of 'em and got rather more than I bargained for. Thought I'd bought 120 maps, turns out its more like 400 - can't move for the buggers ! See postings elsewhere....

Now I have an idea, we could scan them and post on the site, I know a bloke called Steve who would help!! lolhe he he he

Grrrrrr ...... :angry:

---------------------------------------------

An ebay seller has a large range of maps and GENEALOGY DIRECTORYS all at a reasonable price 'Buy Now' LINK

;-)

The 'Alan Godfrey' series of maps are pretty good but they're as recent as 1903-1905, and as they are large scale you need 18 of them to cover Sheffield @ about £2.20 each.

See here for a list of them

The shop 'Sheffield Scene' on Surrey street stock them all - as do the Local Studies section in the Central Library. 'Sheffield Scene' also have other old maps, but I can't off-hand remember which.