Burials

Guest TCV

I was wondering if anyone had details on where to find a relatives grave?

Thanks to RichardB, he's found when my 3xGreat Grandad died

John Woffindin born abt 1837 died 1894 Jan-Mar in Sheffield

Cheers

Andrew

I was wondering if anyone had details on where to find a relatives grave?

Thanks to RichardB, he's found when my 3xGreat Grandad died

John Woffindin born abt 1837 died 1894 Jan-Mar in Sheffield

Cheers

Andrew

Aged 57 (basic arithmetic), Volume 9c, page 328 if that helps anyone. Probably time to order a copy of the paperwork !!!

Ecclesfield St Mary-John Woffinden age 57-8 March 1894-died Sheffield

Really! That's amazing, I past that church when I go to my mothers! Looks an old church, I'll have to go and visit it! That ties in cos my Grnadad always said he had an aunt with a farm at Ecclesfied, the farmhouse is a cattery now.

Thanks for that Neddy!

I don't suppose you know where a Charlotte Searle is buried too? I believe she died in 1875 she was 51/52 died in Sheffield.

Also buried at Ecclesfield...

WOFFINDEN Caroline 18 Jul 1891 Greno Wood 28

WOFFINDEN George 3 Feb 1898 Grenoside 7m

WOFFINDIN Sophia 2 Aug 1885 Grenoside 44

I believe Sophia was John's wife. Census records suggest John was born in Rotherham.

Hugh

Also buried at Ecclesfield...

WOFFINDEN Caroline 18 Jul 1891 Greno Wood 28

WOFFINDEN George 3 Feb 1898 Grenoside 7m

WOFFINDIN Sophia 2 Aug 1885 Grenoside 44

I believe Sophia was John's wife. Census records suggest John was born in Rotherham.

Hugh

You're a star mate! Sophia was John's wife, Caroline and George I've no idea about means more investigation I guess! Aye John was born in Masbrough. Its crazy how the surname's spelling changes so quickly!

I'm related thru their eldest Mary Elizabeth, crazy family she married an Edward Smith had a son called Edward but they're buried as Edwin apparently!

So is Greno Wood and Grenoside still St Marys in Ecclesfield?

So is Greno Wood and Grenoside still St Marys in Ecclesfield?

Grenoside was in Ecclesfield Parish. St Mark's Church, Grenoside was consecrated in 1887 as a chapelry within that parish. Grenoside did not become a parish in its own right until 1938. There are no burials listed for St Mark's so it may not have a graveyard.

re: Charlotte SEARLE. I can't find a burial in the published indexes. If she is the Charlotte born in Dublin, the wife of John, living in Mowbray Street in 1871 (in a china shop which makes me wish their surname was BULL), they might be buried in Burngreave cemetery, which has not been transcribed.

Hugh

I don't suppose you know where a Charlotte Searle is buried too? I believe she died in 1875 she was 51/52 died in Sheffield.

Charlotte Searle born about 1823, died Jul-Sep 1875 in Sheffield 9c pqage 307

Grenoside was in Ecclesfield Parish. St Mark's Church, Grenoside was consecrated in 1887 as a chapelry within that parish. Grenoside did not become a parish in its own right until 1938. There are no burials listed for St Mark's so it may not have a graveyard.

re: Charlotte SEARLE. I can't find a burial in the published indexes. If she is the Charlotte born in Dublin, the wife of John, living in Mowbray Street in 1871 (in a china shop which makes me wish their surname was BULL), they might be buried in Burngreave cemetery, which has not been transcribed.

Hugh

RichardB you were right! They've com up trumps!

Aye that's them! (Bulls, I've close BILLS run in the family!)

TBH the Searles have been difficult to trace, so your probs right Burngreave isnt that far from Mowbray Street, I've not managed to find their son Humphrey Mills Searle either. My uncle remembers my Grandad taking him to Wardsend cemetery to visit his mother's grave a Frances Smith (nee Searle), we both went up there but the graveyard is in such a state we couldn't find anything there's been a lot of vandalism and its a very odd place!

Been trying to locate the Charlotte side cos my uncle wants to know more about his Irish heritage, I'm clutching at straws but 2 of sons have the name Mills Searle Humphrey and Francis John Mills Searle so I thought it could be Charlotte's maiden name?

I'd love to know where they ended up and the Bills family too because I've found none of there burial details at all!

Wardsend is an interest of mine (a sideline from Walkley). If you were able to find the burial reference (from the entry in the burial register or from the original paperwork given to the family) I am confident I would be able to find the grave. The only Frances in the index of MIs is too early I think - buried 1886 agd 55. Does you're uncle remember if there was a gravestone? The index is far from complete.

Now here is a mind-boggling coincidence...

This morning, as well as watching the boards, I have been inputting some MIs from Walkley Cemetery which were recorded on paper in a session earlier this year. In front of me I have a wadge of about 15 which I have been working through. One I hadn't got to yet is this one:

Walkley Cemetery

Grave L1 76 (the secton is L1)

In / loving memory of / GENEVIEVE MAISIE beloved daughter of / JOHN REUBEN & ROSE ANNIE SEARLE /

who departed this life Feb 9th 1940 aged 15 years / Safe in the arms of Jesus /

Also the above named JOHN REUBEN SEARLE / who died Jan 23rd 1954 aged 73 years / At rest in the Lord /

Also ROSE ANNIE beloved wife of the above / born Nov 18th 1881 died Oct 20th 1966 / re-united

John Reuben, if I am not mistaken, was the son of Humphrey Mills SEARLE.

Hugh

...including one of my favourite names:

Burial in St Philip's Parish (Wardsend Cemetery)

BILLS Farewell 30 Jan 1897 14 Cross King James St 58y

Hugh

There are Bills burials at St Philip.

Really the earliest Bills I have are George and Ann born about 1846 in Staffs, they ended up running a Grocers/Off licence on Staniforth Road no idea where they're buried I think George died about 1904 and Ann some time after.

The some of the Searles were baptised at St Phillips John Reuben and the one I'm related to Humphrey Mills, I've no idea where they're buried is it likely to be at St Phillips you think?

Really the earliest Bills I have are George and Ann born about 1846 in Staffs, they ended up running a Grocers/Off licence on Staniforth Road no idea where they're buried I think George died about 1904 and Ann some time after.

The some of the Searles were baptised at St Phillips John Reuben and the one I'm related to Humphrey Mills, I've no idea where they're buried is it likely to be at St Phillips you think?

Wardsend is an interest of mine (a sideline from Walkley). If you were able to find the burial reference (from the entry in the burial register or from the original paperwork given to the family) I am confident I would be able to find the grave. The only Frances in the index of MIs is too early I think - buried 1886 agd 55. Does you're uncle remember if there was a gravestone? The index is far from complete.

Now here is a mind-boggling coincidence...

This morning, as well as watching the boards, I have been inputting some MIs from Walkley Cemetery which were recorded on paper in a session earlier this year. In front of me I have a wadge of about 15 which I have been working through. One I hadn't got to yet is this one:

Walkley Cemetery

Grave L1 76 (the secton is L1)

In / loving memory of / GENEVIEVE MAISIE beloved daughter of / JOHN REUBEN & ROSE ANNIE SEARLE /

who departed this life Feb 9th 1940 aged 15 years / Safe in the arms of Jesus /

Also the above named JOHN REUBEN SEARLE / who died Jan 23rd 1954 aged 73 years / At rest in the Lord /

Also ROSE ANNIE beloved wife of the above / born Nov 18th 1881 died Oct 20th 1966 / re-united

John Reuben, if I am not mistaken, was the son of Humphrey Mills SEARLE.

Hugh

Jesus! What a coincidence!

Yes he's the eldest son of Humphrey Mills Searle and Mary Ann, can't believe that! I'm related thru their youngest daugther Frances she died in 1942/43, she married a Joseph Smith. My uncle was only small when he was took there and remembers very little about it.

Nice one thanks for that Hugh!

Farewell Bills, 52, File cutter

Sarah Bills, 40

Annie M Bills, 17

Harriett Bills, 15, file cutter

Sarah Bills, 13

Edith Bills, 8

Victor Bills, 8

74 Greaves Street, Owlerton

Farewell Bills, 32, filesmith

Jonathan Bills, 69, wid, father, filesmith

Sarah Bills, 24, wife

Albert E Bills, 10 months

14 Langsett Road, Nether Hallam

I cannot find a marriage for Farewell Bills and Sarah ...

Jonathan Bills, 48, file striker

Mary, 38

Sarah, 14

Farewell Bills, 12, scholar

Harriett, 9

Infirmary Gardens, St Philips, Nether Hallam

3462 74F

Portland Place

(Nether Hallam)

Jona BILLS Head Marr 57 filesmith bn Bradfield

Mary Wife Marr 48 bn Bradfield

Farewell Son Unm 22 file cutter bn Bradfield