Old Hall at Wisewood?

Guest tsavo

My wife remembers there being a large house or hall at the bottom of Rural Lane opposite the Horse & Jockey. Although I only remember the site as waste ground, she can remember playing around it in the 50s. It was demolished after a local child was killed playing in the derelict building. Can anyone provide more details? Is this the building circled?

Picture courtesy of Picture Sheffield

Here's how it looks now

Not sure if it would be classed as on Laird Road or Worral Road that it would have stood on or classed as both..

I think the huge 'T' shaped building is a block of flats - and the other newer buildings behind it are a chip shop (recommended by the way) and a hairdressers..

Guest Ernie

My wife remembers there being a large house or hall at the bottom of Rural Lane opposite the Horse & Jockey. Although I only remember the site as waste ground, she can remember playing around it in the 50s. It was demolished after a local child was killed playing in the derelict building. Can anyone provide more details? Is this the building circled?

Picture courtesy of Picture Sheffield

Hello.

I'm sorry, I don't know your name as it wasn't displayed.

I wonder if the name you're looking for is Wadsley Manor. I lived in the house prior to it being demolished around 1958. I was doing my national service at the time.

I can be contacted at:- edit

I hope this helps you.

Result !!

Many thanks Ernie

I've blown the picture up so people can see where it was in relation to the Horse & Jockey

Guest tsavo

Thanks Ernie, although my wife said all the local kids called it the Manor, we couldn't find a better picture of it. Welcome to the Forum, hope yoy enjoy it :D :D :D :D .

Superb - a nice result.

Thanks Eddie!

For information, I have removed your email address from the public post, simply because we wouldn't want you to get any unwanted email as a result of posting it on the public forums! I think tsavo read it earlier.

We'd recommend you using personal messages to send your private email addresses where possible, to do so click on the members' username at the top left of any of their posts and select 'send message'.

Many thanks for the picture and please do continue to use the site!

Guest wisewoodowl

Does anyone know the name of the house that used to stand where the Wade Meadow houses were built in the 80's? It was on Wadsley Park Crescent, just up Laird Road from the top of Wadsley Lane.

Guest Ernie

Does anyone know the name of the house that used to stand where the Wade Meadow houses were built in the 80's? It was on Wadsley Park Crescent, just up Laird Road from the top of Wadsley Lane.

The name of the house was Lyndhurst. It was home to councillor Marlow and his wife. He was the Lord Mayor in 1945 when the war ended.

Guest tsavo

THanks Ernie for solving that one....and welcome to SH if no-ones said it before me!

Guest wisewoodowl

The name of the house was Lyndhurst. It was home to councillor Marlow and his wife. He was the Lord Mayor in 1945 when the war ended.

Thanks Ernie.

I moved up to that area before Wade Meadow was built but after "Lyndhurst" was demolished. My neighbour told me about the old property but not it's name. I often wondered if it was an old manor house or something similar.

Guest Ernie

As you moved to Wadsley after Lyndhurst was demolished; you won't remember the large house at the bottom of Laird Rd, number one to be precise, being Hillsborough High School. Miss Roberts was the head mistress. It later moved to what was once "The cripples home", latterly home to the Sea Cadets who have since moved to somewhere around The Wicker area I believe. lol