Fitzalan Square

Sheffield History

tozzin
32 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

103507539_2814110078699026_7483535644312188724_o.jpg

Has Fitzalan Square ever looked as fine as it down right now?

Surely this is  the best it's ever looked?

it does look good but not being around when the square was first created I can’t really compare, i do think it’s a mistake leaving the kiosk that just sells vape refills and other rubbish, that should have been demolished, there’s no balance with it still being there, I just hope the powers that be can keep the alcoholics, druggies and the skate-boarders away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheffield History

• tozzin

• mickjj

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The map also shows several other pubs: Norfolk Arms - bottom of Norfolk Street  Black Swan - corner of Flat Street and Little Pond Street  Tankard Inn - Little Pond Street  Barrell

Another 2 pubs in the area. The Falcon Inn stood on Flat Street and would be lost to the Post Office extension. The Palace Inn stood where the Post Office was built in the late 19th century. Both are

The Fitzalan Square toilets were upgraded in 1901 but it was realised they were inadequate and for the next six years the council hummed and harr'd about where to build more town centre toilets.  In J

Posted Images

RichK
On 08/06/2020 at 11:18, tozzin said:

it does look good but not being around when the square was first created I can’t really compare, i do think it’s a mistake leaving the kiosk that just sells vape refills and other rubbish, that should have been demolished, there’s no balance with it still being there, I just hope the powers that be can keep the alcoholics, druggies and the skate-boarders away.

I was just going to post the same - what possible reason can they have for leaving that trashy vape shop in place? I can't believe they would willingly leave it there, is there some sort of long lease on it they can't get out of? It's like making an extravagent wedding cake and crowning it with a small dog turd.

tozzin
32 minutes ago, RichK said:

I was just going to post the same - what possible reason can they have for leaving that trashy vape shop in place? I can't believe they would willingly leave it there, is there some sort of long lease on it they can't get out of? It's like making an extravagent wedding cake and crowning it with a small dog turd.

My sentiments entirely.

Stu_1981
On 08/06/2020 at 11:00, Sheffield History said:

103507539_2814110078699026_7483535644312188724_o.jpg

Has Fitzalan Square ever looked as fine as it down right now?

Surely this is  the best it's ever looked?

I haven't been down there for ages and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a big improvement! Is the red brick building (centre) the original Bell Hotel building?

• 1 month later...
Colinsfoot

A little anecdote from my late Father about the square. When he was a young man maybe 1937/38...the Square was a meeting place for lads on a Saturday night out in town. They would congregate and sit on the surrounding walls until there was no more room for anyone else to sit down. Then when someone got up and left, a lad who fancied himself as a bit of a hard man would chuck his cap onto the vacant place as a challenge to anyone to knock it off the wall. Lads being lads, he didn't have to wait for long and a fight would start. Apparently, this was a regular scenario on a Saturday night. Nothing changes Eh!