To The West. To The West

RichardB

To the West, To the West, to the land of the free'

Where the mighty Missouri rolls down to the sea;

Where a man is a man even though he must toil

And the poorest may gather the fruits of the soil.

Who wrote it ? Who was he ? What connection to a building in Walkley ?

(Old hands, hold steady,

Let the new ones run free.

I know you know the answer,

Just let's wait and see)

Rubbish poetry, 2008, RichardB <_<

Off to have a google but a first guess is it anything to do with the Freedom name prevalent in the area.

Carnegie? But apart from the fact that they were both Scots, I haven't spotted a connection. :)

Hugh

Carnegie is good ... which building ?

Walkley Library, a branch library of Sheffield City Libraries, is a Carnegie library, and its boundary wall bears a commemorative plate to that effect.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well done. as posted by me, here, about a year ago.

Would be nice to see the plaque thingie though.

Let me know where it is and Ill send you a photo. Dont know Walkley at all, apart form 95 bus to Walkley from an advert on Radio Hallam, some jewellers, the old bank, commonside Walkley. lol

from Andrew Carnegie's autobiography:

And my father's sweet voice sang often to mother, brother, and me:

"To the West, to the West, to the land of the free,

Where the mighty Missouri rolls down to the sea;

Where a man is a man even though he must toil

And the poorest may gather the fruits of the soil."

Hugh

It's not the plaque visible from the main road; that's all I know - because I went to photograph that myself - built into the exterior wall near the traffic lights ... Maybe the Library themselves know. Worth a phone call.

It's not the plaque visible from the main road; that's all I know - because I went to photograph that myself - built into the exterior wall near the traffic lights ... Maybe the Library themselves know. Worth a phone call.

If I remember correctly there's a plaque in the entrance hall of the library as well.

At last! ...... After a few failed attempts to gain entry, I'm in (very strange opening hours)

I had a long discussion with the very nice librarians yesterday and the only plaque they know of is the one on display behind the reception desk. There's the one mentioned earlier set in the boundary wall and also a carved foundation stone (sorry no picture)

Carnegie? But apart from the fact that they were both Scots, I haven't spotted a connection. :)

Hugh

Chartists, Dear Sir, Chartists ... Carnegie's Dad and a Sheffield Chartist (along with others) fled for the USA.

At last! ...... After a few failed attempts to gain entry, I'm in (very strange opening hours)

I had a long discussion with the very nice librarians yesterday and the only plaque they know of is the one on display behind the reception desk. There's the one mentioned earlier set in the boundary wall and also a carved foundation stone (sorry no picture)

The Carnegie plaque I'm sure used to be in the main entrance hall in years gone by. It was always a bit dark in there and it was difficult to read it, .It looks as if they've moved him to a better place!